Director, Program Management & Operational Excellence
Join a Legacy of Innovation 110 Years and Counting!
Daiichi Sankyo Group is dedicated to the creation and supply of innovative pharmaceutical therapies to improve standards of care and address diversified, unmet medical needs of people globally by leveraging our world-class science and technology. With more than 100 years of scientific expertise and a presence in more than 20 countries, Daiichi Sankyo and its 15,000 employees around the world draw upon a rich legacy of innovation and a robust pipeline of promising new medicines to help people. In addition to a strong portfolio of medicines for cardiovascular diseases, under the Group's 2025 Vision to become a "Global Pharma Innovator with Competitive Advantage in Oncology," Daiichi Sankyo is primarily focused on providing novel therapies in oncology, as well as other research areas centered around rare diseases and immune disorders.
The Global Oncology Medical Affairs (GOMA) Director, Program Management & Operational Excellence provides strategic planning and operational management oversight of GOMA projects, activities, and budgets. The Director, Program Management & Operational Excellence is responsible for supporting the Head, Program Management & Operational Excellence, the assigned Global Medical Affairs Team (GMAT) or Functional Lead, and the Franchise or Function Head to deliver GOMA projects and activities successfully and in a timely manner while working in a fast-moving, matrixed organization. The Director, Program Management & Operational Excellence is responsible acting as the "Chief of Staff" for his/her team, leading efforts to achieve overall operational excellence across all activities and projects to accelerate business in a compliant and efficient manner.
The Director, Program Management & Operational Excellence further contributes to accelerating and optimizing the business via the following responsibilities / activities:
• Leading / contributing to process improvement initiatives
• Ensuring streamlined and efficient communication
• Escalating issues in a timely manner
• Budget management and oversight of contract-to-purchase order (PO) process
• Facilitating key meetings (internal GMA, cross-functional, cross-regional, vendor meetings, etc.)
• Tracking of activities in terms of timing, anticipated risk, and mitigation of issues/conflict resolutions
• Encouraging overall operational excellence across all activities and projects
- In close collaboration with the Team Lead (GMAT or Function), establish a strategic plan for monitoring the activities per the Business Plan and priorities.
- Support Team Lead to manage GOMA project/activities, including ensuring that the GMAT/Function team delivers projects/activities successfully and on a timely manner as per annual plan & objectives.
- Establish milestones and metrics, in collaboration with GMAT/Function team, and develop a detailed project plan in order to track progress and measure impact of the activity. Generates critical path analyses and supports scenario planning for each GMAT/Function, in order to assess if objectives are met, exceeded, or not met.
- Have a strong understanding of activities, associated budget, and key contributing factors in order to anticipate potential risks and establish plan to mitigate, as appropriate.
- Lead and facilitate regular internal GOMA & cross-functional/cross-regional team meetings; ensure agendas and team priorities are clear, meetings minutes are distributed, action items are completed.
- Lead the budget planning and tracking process for GMAT/Function team; work with GMAT/Function Leads to provide consolidated budget/LE updates (across all activities and regions) in a timely manner with appropriate rationale.
- Support GMAT/Function lead with annual Business Planning process & associated documents, including proactive engagement with internal and external stakeholders to manage plan development.
- Proactively follow-up on action items and requests of GMAT/Franchise Lead.
- Support GMAT/Function/Franchise Head in prioritization and planning of resources and develop rationale for annual resource planning.
- Lead issue resolution meetings. Lead risk identification, prioritization, and mitigation planning processes across the Franchise.
- Manage the agendas for GMAT/Function meetings, the conduct of the GMAT/Function meetings, and the drafting of GMAT/Function meeting minutes. Ensure full documentation of meeting discussions, decisions and action items. Track & ensure completion of agreed action items. Ensure appropriate archiving of project documentation.
- Develop a monthly report that provides an overview of progress on all key activities, potential risks and mitigation actions.
- Generate and maintain strategic integrated GOMA Franchise project plans, project timelines, high quality risk management plans, and communication plans, as needed.
Operational Excellence Support
- Collaborate with Head, Program Management & Operational Excellence to further strengthen operational excellence from a GOMA-wide organization perspective.
- Disseminate key leadership communications throughout GMAT/Functional teams and lead issue escalation efforts when required.
- Identify gaps in Global Oncology Medical Affairs processes and functional procedures that (potentially) impact program delivery and escalate appropriately to Head, Program Management & Operational Excellence.
- Collaborate with Head, Program Management & Operational Excellence and GMAT/Functional Leads for formal presentations/communications to GOMA Head and Senior management.
- Support Head, Program Management & Operational Excellence with monthly and annual updates to Senior leadership.
- Integrate operational excellence best practices into regular team meetings and communications to enhance overall capabilities.
Qualifications: Successful candidates will be able to meet the qualifications below with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Education Qualifications (from an accredited college or university)
Bachelor's Degree with relevant professional experience or equivalent required.
Advanced degree preferred
- 7+ experience in project management with at least five years in pharmaceutical industry. required
- Medical Affairs experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially in the areas of communication and change management required
- Meticulous attention to detail in all aspects of work and expert organization skills required
- Proven ability to drive decision making process, including ability to challenge teams and achieve excellence required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment required
- Self-starter, results-oriented required
- Strong change management skills and engagement to enable continuous improvement required
- Strong communication skills and ability to adapt according to different levels of management required
- Ability to negotiate and align across teams required
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with key stakeholders required
- Strong Microsoft Office skills required
Daiichi Sankyo, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.