ADVANCED CELL THERAPY LABORATORY TECHNICIAN SUPV.
The Department of Medicine (DOM) is the largest department within the UCSD School of Medicine and is responsible for fulfilling the teaching, research, and clinical missions of the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. The department employs approximately 500 salaried faculty, 168 academic appointees, 331 residents, fellow and postdocs and 479 staff personnel. The Advanced Cell Therapy lab (ACTL) is a state of the art Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) manufacturing facility whose highly skilled team will support UC and local investigators transition novel therapies through the Investigational New Drug (IND) and Phase I/II clinical trials.
Under direction, Laboratory Technician Supv. will work with Advanced Cellular Therapy Laboratory (ACTL) Director for daily operation and supervision of the ACTL. Laboratory Technician Supv. will be responsible for all key activities related to the manufacture, testing, and storage of GMP products. Laboratory Technician Supv. will ensure departmental compliance with related policies, procedures, and regulatory guidelines. Laboratory Technician Supv. will also participate in budget planning and operating within fiscal guidelines. Laboratory Technician Supv. will contribute to evaluation and purchasing recommendations of laboratory equipment.
Laboratory Technician Supv. will work with ACTL Director to develop and maintain staffing plans in accordance with operational demand. Laboratory Technician Supv. will be responsible for screening, interviewing, and hiring new employees as well as preparing and conducting annual performance appraisals. Laboratory Technician Supv. will be responsible for staff competencies, goal setting, mentoring and training. This position will also perform disciplinary action, up to dismissal, in consultation with ACTL Director and Human Resources. Incumbent acts as resource to clinical and administrative staff as needed and will perform other related functions as required. Receives assignments in the form of objectives with goals and the process by which to meet the goals. Oversees the activities and staff of a laboratory including the supervision of all levels of research / instructional associates and laboratory support staff. Typically works in a large or multi-facility laboratory (ies). Supervises the development and execution of major or multi-disciplinary research projects or instructional
• Nine (9) years of related experience, education/training, OR a Bachelor’s degree in related area plus four (4) years of related experience/training.
• Focus of knowledge and skills dependent on area of specialty (laboratory research or instructional / experimental design).
• Advanced and highly specific knowledge and expertise associated with conducting and reporting on scientific research experiments and findings.
• Experience in cellular therapy or equivalent laboratory experience in acGMP facility. Demonstrated knowledge of a wide variety of cellular therapy laboratory techniques, including cell culture, fill and finish operations, flow cytometry, etc.
• Advanced knowledge of a wide variety of specialized laboratory equipment.
• Solid leadership skills associated with planning work assignments, establishing priorities, scheduling instructional space, and ensuring completion of multiple projects. Provide consistent and effective technical supervision to the ACTL with regards to maintaining compliance with CGMP guidelines
• Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
• Solid knowledge of data acquisition and analysis techniques.
• Advanced knowledge of research discipline or instructional design to collaborate effectively with faculty and function as a resource to research and instructional associates.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills to effectively supervise all levels of staff. Strong ability to train and educate ACTL staff, and others as required, to execute cell therapy processes.
• Strong abilities to conduct and report on scientific experiments and findings.
• Advanced knowledge of necessary lab safety procedures and requirements, as well as chemical disposal guidelines.
• Strong familiarity with cGCP, cGMP and cGLP guidelines and conditions.
•Supervising staff or students in an academic or research setting.
• Advanced degree (Master's, PhD, etc.)
• Knowledge of or ability to learn and keep updated on UCSD policies and procedures.
• Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html