Associate Scientist, Assay and Platform Development
Founded in 2017 within Flagship Labs, Cellarity’s new approach to drug discovery is based on the computational modeling of cell behavior, leading to a more complete understanding of system and network biology to uncover cell-behavior-targeted medicines for a wide variety of diseases. Cellarity recently raised $123 million in Series B financing. The round included contributions from funds and accounts managed by BlackRock, The Baupost Group, Banque Pictet on behalf of their clients and eight other investors alongside Flagship Pioneering.
Cellarity is generating unprecedented biological insights by combining its unique expertise in network biology, high-resolution data, and machine learning. The result is a new understanding both of the cell’s trajectory from health to disease, and of how cells relate to one another in tissues. Because the cell and its network of transcripts and proteins offer a far more complete view of the complexity of human biology than simple read out of any individual molecular target, Cellarity’s approach allows for more efficient drug discovery and thus is designed to drive higher rates of clinical success. The company already has seven drug discovery programs underway in diverse therapeutic areas that range from metabolic disease to immuno-oncology.
Cellarity is seeking an innovative and highly motivated Research Associate with expertise in cell and molecular biology and assay development to play a vital role in the company’s efforts to validate novel target discovery approaches. The candidate will be primarily responsible for profiling small molecules in multiple types of in vitro assays both to quantify phenotypic responses and to generate samples for measurement using various next generation sequencing techniques. The position requires strong experimental skills particularly in the development of quantitative assays and in the culture of primary cells and cancer cell lines. The successful candidate will develop fit-for-purpose assays designed to critique and improve our platform methods but will also collaborate with scientists for assay development in other exploratory and therapeutic groups. They will be comfortable working in, and contributing to, a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment – close collaboration with our sequencing and compound management teams will be essential. The ideal candidate must be independent, goal oriented, have excellent communication and organizational skills and be comfortable developing assays using a range of measurements and techniques.
Education and training:
- BS/MS degree in cell biology or related discipline
- 3 - 8 years Biotech/Pharma experience in cell and molecular biology and drug discovery
- Proven hands-on experience with cell-based and molecular biology assays with a variety of readout technologies, such as, but not limited to: flow cytometry, high content imaging, qPCR, ELISA, and Western analysis
- Extensive experience with mammalian cell culture techniques, including the generation of stable and inducible cell lines
- Experience with characterization and/or differentiation of cells from human and animal tissues including hematopoietic cells, intestinal, epithelial, muscle and/or endothelial tissue is required
- Experience independently generating precise, reliable data and skillfully analyzing the data
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- Motivated and excited about biological discovery and assay development