Software Engineering Manager, Imaging
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Help create an outstanding research platform. You’ll be a technical hands-on software engineering manager whose team will work with or support people such as Data Scientists, Biologists, and Automation Scientists in building a platform for generating and storing petabytes of data, iterating quickly on novel analyses, and prototyping new deep learning models.
- Mentor, coach, grow, and empower the people on your team.
- Partner with product and internal customers to prioritize and develop the most important capabilities.
- Participate in deep technical discussions within your team and across partner teams, with extra attention toward clarifying unknowns.
- Establish and achieve quarterly goals, setting and adjusting expectations based on regular, iterative feedback from prototypes and delivering software into production.
- Recruit and grow an inclusive team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, and onboarding new employees.
The Team You’ll Join
You and an engineering team will build software enabling analyses and workflows which allow us to take ~70TB of images produced by our high throughput platform per week, and turn them into data helping us to find treatments for disease. In the next three years, we may go from ~70TB/week to 700TB/week. The team uses Kafka as the backbone of a processing pipeline that scales up to tens of thousands of cores worth of machines. The team also works closely with our high throughput platform teams to create feedback loops which allow us to understand the quality of our images, detect issues with focus, cell death, and microscope calibration, and to create re-imaging and time-series imaging workflows. You will report to the Director of Engineering.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Significant experience as a software engineer.
- Experience leading technical teams using both technical and interpersonal skills to achieve results.
- Demonstrate past record of learning from and teaching peers in areas of performance, scalability, and system architecture.
- Experience learning new technologies.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Recursionaut:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option and restricted stock unit (RSUs) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.