Senior Scientist I, Human Genetics
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is an AbbVie Center of Excellence for genetics and genomics with the mission to identify new drug targets based on human genetic evidence and to support discovery and development of therapeutic programs. The GRC utilizes multiple approaches towards its goal, including large population-based studies, targeted disease cohort collections, and clinical trial samples. As a core group in the GRC, the Human Genetics team is responsible for analyzing and interpreting data from large genetic databases such as UK Biobank, FinnGen, Genuity and others to identify and characterize novel targets for the treatment of diseases across multiple therapeutic areas. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist, based in North Chicago, IL, to join a team of geneticists, molecular biologists, medical directors and computational scientists.
- Devise and execute studies to determine genotype-phenotype relationships from large-scale human genetic databases, including statistical association analysis and interpretation of association signals in complex disease;
- Utilize internal and external data sources to understand novel genetic findings;
- Work collaboratively across the GRC to provide biological interpretation for genetic, genomic, and epigenetic associations and prioritize genetic discoveries for functional follow-up;
- Collaborate with functional genomics and disease biology experts to design and execute studies for mechanistic understanding of genotype-phenotype relationships;
- Work with scientists across Early Discovery therapeutic areas to interpret and incorporate genetic findings into new target discovery or validation of existing targets;
- Summarize and communicate findings to the Human Genetics team, GRC leadership, and internal and external collaborators;
- Actively participate and engage with external collaborations and consortia involving human genetics.
- PhD in Human Genetics, Molecular Genetics, or closely related field;
- Strong background in genetic association studies (GWAS and PheWAS);
- Demonstrated ability to design and lead human genetics studies delivering novel genetic findings and medically relevant gene discoveries.
Additional desired skills include:
- Experience working with population cohorts and large human genetic datasets;
- Experience interpreting family-based or rare disease genetic studies;
- Experience with functional studies enabling interpretation of genetic findings;
- Experience with large-scale research projects involving next generation DNA sequencing data (e.g. whole exome and whole genome) as well as array-based genotype data;
- Proficiency in R/RStudio, Linux and experience in working in a high-performance computing environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills in a collaborative environment.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.