We are currently searching for a Science Writer to support the Science, Writing, Press and Dissemination Branch by writing and editing products that articulate, interpret, and explain a variety of subjects, tailored to specific media and audiences. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on site in Rockville, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Stay abreast of NIMH, NIH, and other HHS news releases, research topics and findings and health information relevant to the Institute and other HHS entities
- Respond quickly to written email, standard mail, fax, and social media and telephone inquiries from members of the public including health professionals, scientists, researchers, patients and family members, and students in a timely, accurate, analytic, and articulate manner
- Assess the newsworthiness and scientific importance of papers
- Draft accurate, compelling, audience appropriate print, web, and social media content on a range of important and emerging mental health topics, such as press releases, research highlights, consumer brochures, fact sheets, and web content
- Translate complex scientific information into plain language, and tailor this information for a variety of audiences and channels
- Disseminate information and promote NIMH, NIH, and HHS products through a variety of communication channels
- Research and compile background information and or talking points for presentations, media interviews, blogs, etc.
- Implement communication plans for specific NIMH initiatives and activities
- Required: Master’s Degree in (Communications, Biomedical Science, Psychology) or related field with 3 years of specialized experience
- Preferred: PhD in a related discipline with 5 years of specialized experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills, especially demonstrated experience in writing news items and other material about advances in neuroscience accurately and in a way that non-scientists would find interesting, understandable, and engaging.
- Experience assessing the significance of and writing about scientific advances and topics for varied national audiences with a broad range of scientific expertise, from scientists to clinicians, to the public.
- Experience editing and verifying the scientific accuracy of material written by others, including those with scientific backgrounds and those with nonscientific backgrounds.
- Experience Implementing communication plans.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
- Experience using multiple software programs, platforms and tools, including Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and SharePoint.
Due to our contractual requirements, to be eligible for this role, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.Company Description
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.