Principal Scientist / Associate Director, Chemistry
Principal Scientist / Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Nura Bio is a venture-backed biopharmaceutical company located in South San Francisco, CA. At Nura Bio, we are transforming recent scientific breakthroughs in axonal degeneration and neuroimmune regulation into neuroprotective medicines to offer renewed hope for those affected by serious neurological diseases.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Drug Discovery, the Principal Scientist/Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry will contribute to and influence all aspects of the drug discovery process from target discovery through nomination of clinical candidates. As a senior member of the Research and Development team, you will foster a culture of scientific excellence, rigorous innovation, collaboration, and fun! At Nura Bio, we offer exciting professional growth opportunities and a highly competitive compensation, equity, and benefits package.
This individual will:
- Be responsible for conducting high-impact research and function as a key contributor across multi-disciplinary drug discovery programs
- Assume a scientific leadership role, overseeing SAR activities for multiple drug discovery programs and collaborate with cross-functional leads to drive small molecule programs from HTS through development candidate nomination
- Apply new approaches to the solution of problems, identifying opportunities for process improvements and efficiency
- Establish and communicate priorities and timelines for experimental work, optimize processes and identify efficiencies to accelerate progress against corporate goals
- Present key findings at scientific meetings and to the Board of Directors
- Manage internal and external (contract research organization) resources to deliver high quality compounds, data and analyses in an efficient manner
- Develop strong relationships and communicate effectively within the internal team and with key external stakeholders
- Work as a senior member of the Chemistry research group and foster a culture of scientific excellence, innovation, and teamwork
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
This individual will have:
- PhD in synthetic or medicinal chemistry, with 8+ years of hands-on experience in small molecule drug discovery
- Demonstrated project leadership experience within cross-functional teams with a goal-and solution-driven approach along with an ability to focus on and prioritize time-sensitive objectives
- The ability to communicate clearly and mentor others
- Prior experience with supervision and development of talented scientists and research associates
- Proven ability to independently drive development of SAR, lead optimization, and compound profiling as well as oversight of small molecule therapeutics to clinical evaluation
- Experience in working with CROs and efficiently managing synthetic chemistry and early ADME profiling efforts
- Experience with SBDD and the use of common modeling tools
- Broad working knowledge of related scientific disciplines including analytical chemistry, pharmacokinetics, drug metabolism, and toxicology
- A strong scientific publication record evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, patents, and presentations at scientific conferences
- Superior organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
If you have the experience that we are seeking and would like the opportunity to contribute to our exciting mission, we would like to hear from you! Please use the Apply for this Position button below to send us your CV with a cover letter delineating why you believe you would be a good fit for this role and why you may be interested in joining Nura Bio.
Nura Bio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment.