Head of Research Operations
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
This Head of Research Operations is responsible for maintaining a well run and organized Research site. This involves strategy around site growth and management, planning procedures, and maintaining the Research labs. This position will have a role in setting up external collaborations (e.g. BARDA, collaborations, etc.) from the tactical perspective. This position manages operations within Research including key vendors, accreditation, permits etc. and operations that link to other functions to enable world-class research to be performed as well as providing budget oversight.Major Accountabilities:
Lead operational activities to maintain an operationally efficient Research organization linked to relevant internal functions
- Liase with Operational structure within broader Seqirus to maintain Research primacy
- Maintain fully functional lab and equipment
- Manage Research specific and site vendor relationships (e.g. animal health, etc.)
- Assure organization is compliant with policies and group continues development
- Oversee maintenance of proper permitting as needed for Research to deliver on projects
- Generate and support procedures as needed to enable smooth lab activities
- Support new lab build-out
Oversee Research budget spend and organize Research budget planning
- Track external project and vendor spend
- Manage relationship with Seqirus Finance
- Oversee Capital expenditures and planning
Be active member of the Research Leadership Team to support Research development
- Propose and support Research/site initiatives as needed
- Support external collaborations as needed
- Generate planning and operational structures within Research to support execution on strategy
- Within Research contribute to Research Leadership Team planning and team management
- B.S., Masters, or PhD in relevant scientific or technical discipline;
- Minimum 7-10+ years of experience (depending on education) with minimum 3 years in industry.
- In-depth knowledge, experience and a track record in Research Operations
- Excellent reputation within targeted focus areas
- Well established relationships with permitting bodies and the ability to sustain and develop professional networks
- Strong leadership and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to develop constructive and effective relationships with direct reports, colleagues and senior management. Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate research projects and targets to management, customers staff and external stakeholders
- Experienced leader with proven ability to achieve results through teamwork and leadership of others, streamlined execution and innovation in a matrix business unit environment,
- Demonstrated ability to manage external interactions in the science field
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate effectively and identify key strategies with external groups
- This position requires national and international travel (~20%).