Scientific Associate II (Protein Biochemistry)
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
This position is responsible for the characterization of our vaccine candidates to produce high quality purified recombinant protein as well as mRNA for in vitro and in vivo vaccine evaluation to support vaccine development.Major Accountabilities:
Characterization of protein and mRNA
- Develop and/or optimize methods to characterize protein and mRNA to support preclinical research
- Design the methodology and perform the purification of protein and mRNA to provide high-quality material for antigen production
- Support development of bioanalytical methods useful to characterize mRNA of interest
- Perform quality control of nucleic acids including SDS-PAGE, Northern or Western blotting and HPLC
Documentation and presentation of scientific results.
- Write research methodologies and prepare internal reports. Maintain lab notebooks.
- Collaborate with project teams, present research results and contribute to technical advancements and publications.
- Maintain functional laboratory equipment and follow HSE regulation.
Other job duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Support other functions and other divisions when needed.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Biochemistry or related biological sciences.
- BS with 3-5+ year's or MS with 0-3+ years of academic or pharmaceutical/biotech experience in biochemistry.
- Data analysis skills, attention to detail and troubleshooting abilities are critical.
- Proactively reviewing literature to contribute to new ideas and technologies are required.
- Organizational, written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to work in teams is required.
- Strong experience with protein characterization of recombinant protein by chromatography such as affinity, IEX and SEC is preferred.
- Strong experience with mRNA purification techniques such as size exclusion chromatography, reverse phase chromatography and tangential flow filtration is preferred.
- Deep understanding of RNA function and methods to characterize mRNA using biochemical assays is preferred.