Associate Director, Histopathology Core
Fate Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated individual to build and lead our in-house histology and tissue analytics capabilities. The successful candidate will have experience in establishing and running histopathology activities including embedding, slide staining, assay development and qualification and image analysis services in support of translational research and IND-enabling studies. This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Director, Clinical Translation and is located at our corporate headquarters in San Diego, California.
- Lead the in-house delivery of tissue-based assays including immunohistochemistry (IHC), immunofluorescence (IF) and in-situ hybridization (ISH)
- Carry out and direct the development of novel tissue-based assays and imaging analysis algorithms
- Manage the installation, operation, and maintenance of new equipment
- Perform training for laboratory staff on sample handling, staining techniques, imaging, and analysis
- Manage external vendors for assay transfer and validation
- Summarize and communicate findings (presentations, research reports etc.)
- Develop, review, and revise standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Manage and develop histology staff
- PhD in cell/molecular biology, biochemistry, pathology, or other relevant scientific field of study with 7+ years of histology experience in a regulated biotechnology industry; GXP experience preferred
- A broad knowledge of the histology laboratory with special emphasis on immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization, as well as a detailed knowledge of sample processing, embedding, sectioning and histochemical techniques
- Experience with oncology and / or immunology
- Experience in histology-based biomarker assay development and qualification/validation, in particular, single- and multi-plex IHC, IF, and ISH assays in FFPE tissue
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, ease with multitasking, and good problem- solving ability
- Strong database / record-keeping skills
- Proven leadership, organizational and management skills
- Experience drafting technical reports and SOPs
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Will require working with cells and cell lines of human and/or animal origin
- Occasional evening and Saturday work will be required
- 100% on-site work at corporate headquarters in San Diego, CA
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required.
About Fate Therapeutics, Inc.
Fate Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of first- in-class cellular immunotherapies for patients with cancer. The Company has established a leadership position in the clinical development and manufacture of universal, off-the-shelf cell products using its proprietary induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) product platform. The Company’s immuno-oncology pipeline includes off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived natural killer (NK) cell and T-cell product candidates, which are designed to synergize with well-established cancer therapies, including immune checkpoint inhibitors and monoclonal antibodies, and to target tumor-associated antigens using chimeric antigen receptors (CARs). Fate Therapeutics is headquartered in San Diego, CA. For more information, please visit www.fatetherapeutics.com.