Scientist I - Molecular Point-of-Care
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
BD is seeking a Scientist I to work within a team that develops new point-of-care assays for human in vitro diagnostic use, using nucleic acid isolation, amplification, and detection technologies. The Scientist I will assist in the design, development, integration, and qualification of assays and/or specimen processing workflows. The associate applies laboratory, scientific, and analytical skills to execute experiments. Works under the direction of Senior Scientists, Staff Scientists, Sr. Staff Scientists, or above.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes a broad range of practical techniques in molecular biology and chemistry.
- Executes experiments and plans appropriate follow-up experiments.
- Develops and/or adapts procedures to meet specific objectives and solve problems.
- Plans, executes, and documents experiments and studies with oversight.
- Summarizes studies in written and/or oral reports for peers and supervisor/manager.
- Executes protocols for formal verification under Design Control. May help draft protocols, reports, and other Design Control deliverables.
- Responsible for the maintenance of complex laboratory equipment and facilities.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining adequate quantities of laboratory supplies.
- Familiarity with major technological and scientific developments in molecular diagnostics.
- Provides technical input to other Scientists and provides support to other functional groups.
- Might assist with product quality investigations.
- Might provide support in execution of clinical studies to validate system performance and assemble data in support of regulatory submissions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled with a variety of complex laboratory procedures and instruments.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new laboratory procedures.
- Working knowledge of scientific method, experimental design, data analysis, and results interpretation.
- Proficiency in a range of techniques in molecular biology including nucleic acid extraction and amplification is required. Meticulous technique in handling of nucleic acids is required.
- Proven ability to work effectively within a team, under direction, and independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of BS or BA degree in Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bio/Biomedical Engineering, or related field – or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant academic, clinical, or industry lab work required.
- Work experience in a laboratory requiring meticulous technique in the handling of nucleic acids.
- Experience in processing clinical specimens for the recovery of nucleic acids, together with a strong background in microbiology, virology, and/or clinical laboratory science is preferred.
- Experience handling infectious biological samples and working in a cGMP environment are preferred.
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.