Senior Scientist - Molecular Point-of-Care
Be part of something bigger! BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
The Sr. Scientist works within a team that develops new point-of-care assays for human in vitro diagnostic use, using nucleic acid isolation, amplification, and detection technologies. Assists in the design, development, integration, and qualification of assays and/or specimen processing workflows. The associate applies laboratory, scientific, and analytical skills to plan and execute experiments and find creative solutions to technical challenges. Works with minimal supervision under the general mentorship of Staff Scientists or above.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes a broad range of practical techniques in molecular biology, microbiology, and chemistry.
- Prepares and maintains bacterial and viral cultures, and performs quantitation of organisms for experimental use.
- Plans, executes, and documents experiments and studies.
- Develops and/or adapts procedures to meet objectives and resolve problems.
- Analyzes and interprets data.
- Summarizes results in written and oral reports for reviews and/or publication.
- Writes and executes protocols and reports for formal verification under Design Control.
- Guides the work of Scientist I and Scientist II associates, and assists in development and performance reviews.
- Connect with various facilities and partners to facilitate product development.
- Maintains sophisticated laboratory equipment and facilities.
- Maintains knowledge of technological and scientific developments in molecular diagnostics, and uses this knowledge within responsibility areas.
- May assist with product quality investigations.
- May provide support in execution of clinical studies to validate system performance and assemble data in support of regulatory submissions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled with a variety of sophisticated laboratory procedures and experimental and analytical methods related to molecular diagnostics.
- Proven track record to learn new scientific and technological approaches.
- Validated understanding of scientific method, experimental design, data analysis, and results interpretation. Understanding of the theory of measurement, sources of error, and comparative advantages of different methodologies.
- Proficiency in a range of techniques in molecular biology including nucleic acid extraction and amplification is required.
- Meticulous technique in handling of nucleic acids is required.
- Proven track record to work efficiently within a team, under direction, and independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of Master’s degree in Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bio/Biomedical Engineering, or related field – or equivalent combination of education and experience. PhD preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of directly confirmed experience in clinical assay development or related field.
- Experience in processing clinical specimens for the recovery of nucleic acids, together with a strong background in microbiology, virology, and/or clinical laboratory science is helpful.
- Experience with isothermal amplification methodologies preferred.
- Experience with growth and enumeration of bacteria and viruses is helpful.
- Experience in diagnostic product development under Design Control is preferred.
- Experience handling infectious biological samples and working in a cGMP environment are preferred.
Click on Apply if this sounds like you!
Why join us? A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/ Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.