Sr. Scientist I/II, Cell Therapy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area, now represented by three facilities in Redwood City, South San Francisco, Sunnyvale and a future new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
AbbVie’s rapidly expanding Cell Therapy group is hiring a Sr. Scientist I/II to develop next generation cell therapies in the context of a highly innovative oncology pipeline. The ideal candidate will:
- Be responsible for generating antigen-specific T and/or NK cell clones, designing and characterizing chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) constructs, and implementing CAR functional activity assessments.
- Have deep technical experience in T and/or NK cell biology and molecular biology research.
- Have expertise with viral transduction.
- Ensure scientific excellence, quality and completeness of key platform initiatives.
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary research team in an exciting, fast-paced discovery-oriented environment.
- The exact position will be commensurate of experience:
- Sr. Scientists II: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and 12 years of experience, Master’s degree or equivalent education and 10 years of experience, PhD and 4 years of experience.
- Sr. Scientist I: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and 10 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and 8 years of experience, PhD and no experience necessary.
- Extensive knowledge of T and/or NK cell biology research, including T cell receptors and oncology research is required. T and/or NK CAR cell therapy hands-on experience is a key advantage.
- Practical experience with several of the following techniques is required: primary cell culture, T cell-based assays and serial killing, flow cytometry, PCR (qPCR, ddPCR), ELISA, Luminex, retroviral/lentiviral/adeno-associated viral (AAV) transduction systems, T cell clone generation.
- Bioinformatics/data science capabilities (e.g. Spotfire, R-Studio) are desired.
- Demonstrated excellence and productivity in leading research projects independent.
- Excellent written and communication skills, and the ability to work in an uber-collaborative team setting is essential.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.