Associate Director, Clinical Trial Diversity & Inclusion
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Purpose: AbbVie is committed to being an industry leader in accelerating the transformation of molecules to medicines to maximize the value for patients and AbbVie. To do so, we must have a clear strategy to attract underserved, diverse populations of investigator sites and patients to improve representation in our clinical trials.
The Associate Director, Clinical Trial Diversity & Inclusion sits within the Clinical Development Operations (CDO) organization and is responsible for supporting the strategic and tactical implementation of AbbVie’s enterprise-wide plan to improve clinical trial diversity. With this role, you will be an important member of the team that will be driving change in the internal culture, behaviors, and ways of working to strengthen our understanding of disease disparities and the effects on clinical trial populations. You will directly work with the Director to ensure a consistent way of working across the portfolio with internal and external stakeholders.
- Align with the Director to enhance the roadmap and develop the action plan to implement AbbVie’s Clinical Trial Diversity strategy across the portfolio
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to identify process improvements to clinical trial lifecycle to increase physician and patient diverse participation
- Develop consistent implementation processes to ensure consistent ways of working across portfolio and best practice sharing within and outside of the clinical operations teams
- Influence leaders to change internal behaviors to strengthen our understanding of disease disparities and the effects of diverse populations
- Work with key stakeholders to develop TA/indication level strategies to increase diverse representation in clinical trials
- Lead external engagement activities, leverage existing relationships and evaluate new opportunities to collaborate with non-traditional community partners, patient advocate organizations, and institutions to broaden base knowledge about clinical research in underrepresented communities and diverse investigators
- Maximize existing internal and external relationships to evaluate new opportunities to collaborate with community organizations, patient advocacy groups, institutions
- Reinforce alignment between the EED&I program and AbbVie’s business strategy
- Monitor impact of clinical trial diversity and inclusion strategies based on analytics to demonstrate improvement in trial representation
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific field required, Advanced degree is desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years + of pharma-related/clinical research experience or equivalent
- 10+ of patient recruitment, project management and people management (preferred)
- Advanced working knowledge of ICH and GCP guidelines required.
- Operational understanding of the global regulatory environment is desirable.
- Excellent collaborator and articulate communicator – easily builds relationships across geographic locations and gains cross functional alignment.
- Strategic thinker with understanding of clinical development process and uses data to drive the business and continuous improvements.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.