Scientist, Analytical Sciences
GreenLight Biosciences is an integrated life sciences company developing safe and effective products that address critical problems facing plant health, human health, and animal health. Through scientific imagination and determination, we are developing products to create a future with a cleaner environment, healthier people, and a stronger food supply chain. At the core of the company’s rapid growth is a proprietary platform for higher quality RNA production at a lower cost and faster speed than has ever been possible.
At GreenLight, we believe inclusion is the way forward. We celebrate the power of working together to address humanity’s challenges, meet the needs of underserved populations, and push the boundaries of scientific discovery. Fueled by our aspiration for a true sense of belonging, our talented teams embody the principles of diversity and equality as we strive to bring food security, medicine, and healthcare to everyone—paving the way for a sustainable future. For more information, visit www.greenlightbio.com.
We have an opening in our R&D team and are seeking an exceptional, highly motivated Scientist to play a key role in providing analytical support for the R&D Team.
This Scientist will work within the Analytical Chemistry division and will partner with process development team at Greenlight. The role will focus on generation and implementation of accurate, precise, and reliable assays. Responsibilities include development and execution of sample extraction methods, traditional biochemical methods (e.g., gels, plates, blots), HPLC, LC-MS, IC, & CE methods, along with corresponding data analysis. Strong technical, organizational, and communication skills, along with a commitment to excellence and high-quality work are required.
- Coordinate and manage relationships with process development, sample generation, and formulations team
- Supervise assays to quantify and characterize plasmid DNA, measure bacterial endotoxin, and determine total microbial counts (with strong focus on plate-based assays, Agarose gels, CE, and SDS-PAGE techniques)
- Supervise assays to quantify process intermediates, including host cell protein and residual nucleic acids (RNA & DNA)
- Ascertain assay robustness, reproducibility, and determine if it is fit-for-purpose
- Develop & execute HPLC and CE analytical methods for the quantification analytes from complex matrices, such as crude cell lysates & finished product formulations
- Operate and maintain analytical instrumentation, including HPLC/UPLC/IC systems, QQQ and high resolution mass spectrometers, high-throughput capillary electrophoresis systems, and automated liquid handlers
- Evaluate various analytical techniques and instrumentation to deliver improved methods for the characterization of various analytes
- Apply DOE methodology to optimize assays for minimal CV and increased reproducibility
- Ensure accuracy of data and timely turnaround of results coming out of the Analytical Chemistry group
- Analyze, summarize, and present technical data to manager and other team members
- Work collaboratively with other R&D team members to accomplish project goals and milestones
- Strong attention to detail, problem solving abilities and a willingness to help wherever needed
- Stay up to date with scientific and technical development within the field of analytical chemistry
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. or M.S. in analytical chemistry, chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or related field
- 4+ years’ experience, preferably in an analytical chemistry group at an industrial biotechnology company; relevant graduate research will be considered
- Strong background in chemistry, with knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry, biochemistry, and microbial metabolism a plus
- Method development experience, with a proven track record of successfully developing sample extraction methods and robust, assay development
- Experience with nucleotide and oligonucleotide / nucleic acid separations is preferred
- Hands on experience troubleshooting analytical equipment is a plus
Greenlight Biosciences Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
GreenLight requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination for its employees consistent with OSHA guidelines.