Senior Director, Development/Platform Project Management
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The Senior Director Development Project Management is responsible for directing and overseeing R&D project management across a specific group of projects within Development/Platform project. Through direct reports, he/she will ensure the execution of robust, strong project management and professional development of staff for R&D.
The Senior Director Development Project Management will apply project management rigor and discipline, focus and agility across projects to enable direct reports to successfully deliver complex, global, cross-functional projects. Additionally, the Senior Director Development Project Management will be accountable for contributing to and executing the R&D project management Strategy and Vision.
This position is accountable for ensuring application of expert project management .in support of delivery of R&D Development/Platform projects He/she is accountable for and will oversee overall project planning, project management, tracking, metrics, reporting processes and operational execution of such for R&D projects within his/her scope of responsibility and for aligning with key stakeholders to meet key business objectives.
Strategy & Business Development
- Accountable for providing skilled project management resources to support the design and execution of PST product/platform strategies.
- Accountable for contributing to development of the R&D Project Management strategy and vision, positioning the department to deliver to the CSL and R&D 2030 strategies; this includes Strategic Workforce Planning
- Build and develop R&D Development/Platform Project Management expertise to support business needs regarding our R&D portfolio
- May participate in Diligence and partner-related activities
- Accountable for expert project management planning and execution to support delivery of the R&D portfolio
- Accountable for staff development
- Accountable for resource capacity management and innovative staffing solutions
- Accountable for resourcing the projects/portfolio to deliver R&D pipeline within Development/Platform projects
- Support delivery of R&D Development/Platform projects in accordance with business priorities to meet key business objectives
Project Management & Reporting
- Contributes to and optimizes the overall project planning, tracking, and reporting processes for R&D projects within RDPM to streamline project management support efforts while continuing to support overall portfolio delivery
- Ensure all Development/Platform and project-specific ‘project management data’ (e.g., Charters; Scope documents; complete integrated planning schedules; TA portfolio and project-specific budgets; management of TA-assigned resources – demand/supply/gap, etc.) are developed and maintained
- Ensures projects provide relevant scenario planning and forecasting for portfolio modeling
- Creatively leverages ‘project management data’ (e.g., scenario planning) to support the TA/Platform and project teams to effectively manage the portfolio of work
- Partner with GPLs, TA Operations Directors and TA Co-leads to identify and provide cross-product, project-specific data/metrics/reporting, as needed
- Identifies areas for RDPM process improvements, actively develops solutions and shares accountability for design, development and implementation
- Works within R&D Project Management (RDPM) to enhance and develop PM cross-discipline development opportunities
- Ensures compliance and use of PM systems and tools meeting business expectations, including utilization of the project-data to support project teams
Project Management Excellence
- Manage PM staff (directly or indirectly) supporting projects within assigned Development/Platform projects
- Understands the business needs and provides support and guidance to direct reports to optimize performance and drive excellence ensuring PM processes, methodologies, and systems are followed for all R&D Development /Platform projects
- Directs team to use all systems, tools and templates created for project use to capture information and data consistently, to enable aggregation for analysis and to inform decision making.
- Provides regular, timely updates to supervisor and stakeholders, keeping them informed of successes and risks to timeline and budget
- Accountable for R&D project management skills development including project management excellence and project management leadership through design and execution of PST/product strategies.
- Accountable for contributing to development of the R&D Project Management strategy, positioning the department to deliver to the CSL and R&D 2030 strategies
- Accountable for project management planning and execution processes
- Accountable for execution of robust project management support in delivery of the R&D portfolio.
People Management and Development
- Leads, coaches, inspires and motivates direct reports to deliver projects with PM excellence
- Inspires confidence and supports initiative to improve end results
- Clearly articulates expectations with objective measures for success
- Prepares direct reports to anticipate potential challenges and identify risks and opportunities to achievement of project goals.
- Holds direct reports accountable providing timely, specific, constructive feedback with appropriate coaching/guidance as necessary
- Provides performance management and learning & development opportunities to continue talent growth and engagement – including but not limited to process improvement, resource planning, and other project management excellence skills and training.
- Drives to maintain a culture based on CSL’s core values of customer focus, innovation, integrity, collaboration, and superior performance.
- Recognizes the skills available and the skills needed of direct reports to effectively deliver assigned projects.
- Collaborate with peers and provide specific expertise to support the Executive Director in fulfilling his/her responsibilities
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate science/business degree in relevant discipline essential, preferably with post-graduate qualifications
- Post-graduate qualifications in business administration or related field preferable
- 10 years or more working experience in the Pharma and/or biotech industry
- Proven experience in leading a team.
- 8+ years’ experience working within a matrix organization
- 8+ years’ experience managing people
- Involvement in cross-functional, multicultural, and international product development teams.
- Sound scientific understanding of the drug development process and associated risk
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, create innovative strategies, manage ambiguity and able to anticipate future trends and consequences
- Demonstrated ability to understand pertinent TA and project-specific information and able to deliver relevant information effectively and efficiently to senior leadership
- Experienced People Manager with proven ability to develop talent and achieve results through teamwork and leadership of others, streamlined execution, and innovation in a matrix Business Unit environment, particularly in a Global business.
- In-depth knowledge in the drug development and manufacturing processes for pharmaceuticals (CMC, non-clinical, clinical, Regulatory Affairs) with strong technical, clinical, regulatory, and commercial acumen
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently or in a team setting, and to achieve goals by managing own timelines.
- Demonstrated experience in leading global, cross-functional project teams in a matrix environment for a large portfolio of work.
- Expertise in all phases of Project Management, Initiation, Planning, Execution, Monitor/Control, Closeout.
- Strong leadership and communication skills (verbal, written, presentation) and a demonstrated ability to develop constructive and effective relationships with direct reports, colleagues, and senior management
- Demonstrated experience in developing, managing, and controlling cross-functional project budgets, timelines, and scope documents.
- Cross cultural sensitivity demonstrating understanding and acceptance of different cultural parameters
- Strong negotiation skills and is able to identify and engage internal and external expertise as needed
- Proven networking, stakeholder management and influencing skills and ability to share knowledge and experience amongst colleagues
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills and excellent written and spoken English
- Strong analytical skills
- PMP Certification Preferred