Strategic Planning & Operations Senior Manager
External Supply Operations provides a strategic dimension to Amgen's manufacturing network to improve operational competitiveness and ensure uninterrupted global supply of medicines to our patients. In order to continue to provide the supplemental capacity to the Amgen manufacturing network, it is increasingly important that External Supply Operations establish consistent, robust processes and systems to ensure quality and supply reliability with our external contract manufacturing network while closely partnering with our internal networks as well.
External Supply Operations is seeking a Strategic Planning & Operations Senior Manager to join the Portfolio Strategy & Management (PSM) team. This individual will report to the Director of the PSM team.
This role will support the External Supply Operations organization by advancing systems and processes related to Acquisition & Integrations, Site Selections, Workforce Modeling and Capacity Planning, and CMO Capacity Planning. This person will lead efforts that focus on identifying and delivering recommendations to drive pivotal initiatives, business performance and operational improvements. The Senior Manager is responsible to stay informed of standard methodologies and provide innovative, impactful ideas to optimize processes to support the organizations growth strategies.
The successful candidate will lead and handle cross-functional initiatives that advance External Supply Operations strategies and objectives. Specific responsibilities are to:
- Lead complex, cross-functional assessments which will have implications on External Supply business units including external CMOs and cross functional partners
- Demonstrate and apply a strong understanding of Operations including: Large and Small Molecule Drug Substance, Drug Product and Packaging manufacturing, Supply Chain, Quality and associated financials
- Provide Business Analysis tools and skill sets to External Supply Operations and partner with Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Quality, Finance, and Operations Strategic Planning and Risk
- Develop holistic business cases with financial and strategic consideration
- Conduct workforce analysis and planning to make recommendations to the business for operational improvements
- Use modeling and analytical tools to identify improvement opportunities and focus areas to drive strategy and business performance
- Present recommendations to Senior Management and drive decisions
- Balance and lead multiple priorities while consistently delivering high quality results
- Own and drive sophisticated data analysis initiatives that will generate impactful and meaningful insights
- Provide regular reports, dashboards and presentations that clearly summarize results and implications/recommendations to key stakeholders to inform decision making
- Turn unstructured business issues/requests into appropriate action plans and projects that result in high quality, significant and impactful deliverables
- Own, build and maintain strong collaborations; proactively seek consensus and provide ongoing collaboration and consultation to inform how best to address business needs
- Deploy best in class project management on all initiatives including special projects as needed
- Maturing systems and processes to ensure efficiency gains and cross functional alignment by performing end to end process mapping with key functional stakeholders within External Supply Quality, Process Development, Legal, Supply Chain and Finance would also be a primary focus of this role.
- Development and implementation of new processes and procedures to standardize, simplify, measure and enhance the compliance of Mergers and Acquisitions and subsequent integration activities
- Development of tools to measure, analyze and run workforce modeling and capacity planning
- Development of tools to measure, analyze and handle capacity planning and reservations at CMOs
Doctorate degree and 2 years of relevant experience within a cGMP manufacturing or quality environment
Masters degree and 4 years of relevant experience within a cGMP manufacturing or quality environment
Bachelors degree and 6 years of relevant experience within a cGMP manufacturing or quality environment
Associates degree and 10 years of relevant experience within a cGMP manufacturing or quality environment
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of relevant experience within a cGMP manufacturing or quality environment
- 6+ years leading medium to complex projects.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in the use of project management methodologies and tools, resource management practices and change management techniques
- Understanding international pharmaceutical industry landscape and business principles
- Strong problem-solving skills and knowledge of analytical tools within MS Excel, Smartsheet, ThinkCell, and other software programs
- Green Belt or Black Belt certification
- 2+ year of experience in Lean Manufacturing or Operational Excellence
- MBA or business operations degree or equivalent experience in business/operations management
- GMP environment work experience and thorough understanding of biological/chemistry technology transfer processes and timelines, integration and onboarding activities
- Ability to travel +/- 20% of time (domestic and international)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically to support key business decisions
- Excellent analytical skillsability to translate disparate and ambiguous data sets into impactful insights and recommendations
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills with ability to explain complex concepts clearly to a variety of audiences
- Proficient facilitation, negotiation, problem-solving and change management skills
- Advanced knowledge of Smart Sheet, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Word; working understanding of business intelligence and predictive modeling tools
- Superior ability to work in a self-directed manner while balancing a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and contending demands
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve peoples lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the worlds leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen requires all staff in the United States and Puerto Rico to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.