R&D Project Accounting Manager
Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
We are seeking a R&D Project Accounting Manager, as a key member of our robust finance team, reporting to the Corporate Controller. You will own the clinical trials, manufacturing and R&D accruals processes and will work closely with our Clinical, Manufacturing and R&D teams. The R&D Project Accounting Manager will be responsible for tracking contracts, financial data analysis, tracking key expense categories as related to CRO and CMO projects, preparing accounting entries and documentation ensuring compliance with US GAAP and SOX requirements. The incumbent will interact cross-functionally to define and incorporate variables following US GAAP guidance required for project accounting. The role will utilize tools for the communication of the project accounting results to R&D and accounting and finance stakeholders. This role will operate with minimal oversight and serve as a key subject matter expert on R&D CRO and CMO Project accounting.
- Prepare/Review month-end clinical, manufacturing and R&D accruals analysis, including review of CRO reports and sites accruals.
- Prepare/Review quarter-end expense estimation.
- Prepare corresponding monthly journal entries and related supporting documentation.
- Prepare/ Review monthly and quarterly accounts reconciliations (clinical, manufacturing accruals and related prepaids).
- Review and analyze clinical and manufacturing expenses monthly.
- Maintain a schedule of contracts, purchase orders and review contracts and amendments monthly and analyze/determine impact on clinical and manufacturing expense and accruals.
- Ensure and maintain proper documentation and internal controls around clinical trials accounting and manufacturing accruals for SOX compliance.
- Work cross functionally with the Clinical, Manufacturing, Research and Legal teams and other various business owners as well as external consultants.
- Work with external CROs, CMOs and other clinical /manufacturing vendors to ensure that accruals are accurately accounted for.
- Support the requirements of the annual audit and quarterly reviews through preparation of audit schedules and other support requested by the internal and external auditors.
- Provide support as needs arise for special projects, system improvements, or ad-hoc financial requests.
- Establish and maintain relationships with functional areas to understand and analyze the financial impact of business process changes.
- Provide detailed analysis, support creative problem solving, and anticipate technical obstacles as they relate to financial aspects of the R&D processes for manufacturing and clinical supplies.
- Develop metrics and track progress.
- Review purchase requests for alignment with authorizations and financial forecasts.
- Influence stakeholders for compliance with Standard Business Practices.
- BS or BA in Accounting or related field.
- CPA or equivalent highly preferred.
- Big 4 audit experience a plus.
- 5+ years Biotech experience, specifically clinical trial accounting.
- Proven track record of robust analytical skills, effective problem solving and attention to detail.
- Results-orientation with the proven ability to execute on collaborative projects and develop subject matter expertise.
- Strong project management skills, SOX internal controls and US GAAP knowledge.
- A sustained level of high performance while processing detailed high-volume work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Prior Experience with NetSuite is a plus.
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word & PowerPoint).
Vaxart offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, stock options, 401K with employer matching, tuition assistance, and work life balance.
Vaxart is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. Vaxart does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.