Avidity Biosciences is pioneering a new class of oligonucleotide-based therapies called AOCs designed to overcome the current limitations of oligonucleotide therapies in order to treat a wide range of serious diseases. We utilize our proprietary AOC platform to design, engineer, and develop therapeutics that combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) and the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapies in order to access previously undruggable tissue and cell types and more effectively target underlying genetic drivers of diseases. More information about Avidity Biosciences can be found on our website: www.aviditybiosciences.comJob SummaryWe are looking for a Scientist /Senior Scientist to help build out and lead a team of scientists in the oligonucleotide synthesis area at Avidity Biosciences. An independent researcher with hands-on experience with oligonucleotide synthesis and passionate for solving oligonucleotide delivery challenges is perfect for this role. This is a hands-on position with responsibility for the design, synthesis, and analysis of oligonucleotides. The candidate is expected to play a key role in developing next-generation delivery technology and research programs. The candidate is a strong team player who enjoys scientific discovery and has the ability to communicate and collaborate in an interdisciplinary environment.Primary responsibilities of this position will include
- Synthesis and purification of oligonucleotides on milligram to gram scales
- Develop oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, and analytical methods for novel modified oligonucleotides
- Manage all the equipment necessary for oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, and analysis
- Collaborative research with other members of the chemistry and biology teams
- Lead oligonucleotide design for research programs and oligonucleotide delivery
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to accomplish goals under strict timelines.
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry/Chemical Biology with 0-3 years of relevant experience, or MS with 3+ years experience with in-depth oligonucleotide chemistry knowledge
- A strong record of oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, and analysis of oligonucleotides
- Expertise in nucleoside chemistry, chemical modifications of oligonucleotides, and the delivery of oligonucleotides
- Hands-on experience with AKTA Oligopilot and MerMade oligonucleotide synthesizers
- Strong scientific and analytical skills, ability to multitask efficiently, prioritize quickly and bring projects to a conclusion.
- Proven ability to conduct self-directed research, troubleshooting, and to work effectively in a dynamic environment with a diverse team
- Solid written and oral communication skills, enthusiasm, integrity, self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, and attention to detail are necessary
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry/Chemical Biology with 0-3 years of relevant experience, or MS with 3+ years experience
- Oligonucleotide synthesis is a must, and previous experience in the biotech/pharma setting is highly desirable
Avidity is committed to complying with federal, state and local law on employee vaccinations. Job candidates should be aware that full vaccination against COVID-19 may be required in the future. Avidity is an equal opportunity employer and encourages potential or current employees to request a reasonable accommodation under federal, state and local regulations, should one be needed.