Principal Research Scientist I Engineering
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Describe the primary goals, objectives or functions or outputs of this position.
The Operations Science & Technology department supports technical and scientific activities related to the manufacture of pharmaceutical products/devices in AbbVie facilities or in contract facilities. Identify and resolve manufacturing issues for commercial and Research & Development of the Dermal Filler products within medical aesthetics. Provides leadership to cross-functional teams during development, commercial launch or problem solving for a given drug product or device. Accountable to suggest and direct product improvements or alternate manufacturing strategies, as an individual or as a leader of a team, that meet the highest standards in quality, customer service and regulatory compliance.
List up to 10 main responsibilities for the job. Include information about the accountability and scope.
- Acts as technical expert and provides guidance (scientific and administrative) for all pharmaceutical scientist grade levels.
- Demonstrate creative ‘out of the box’ thinking to solve difficult problems and champion new technologies to achieve project goals.
- Liaison between functional groups (i.e., Operations, Quality, Regulatory, Validation, Materials Management, R&D, Analytical Test Labs, Stability and API)
- Must be regarded as capable of working totally independently.
- Provide technical support, individually or as a leader of a team, of all scale-up activities and maintain timelines for on-going projects.
- Write/co-author/review/approve process memos and scientific reports in support of Regulatory Submissions, Regulatory Field Alerts and supportive quality control and manufacturing documents.
- Responsible for review or approval of deviations, NCMRs and investigations in terms of the technical content.
- Has the ability to anticipate, recognize and resolve problems.
- Presents results of projects to senior management.
- Shows understanding of the issues relevant to the organization/business and able to express them to the team. May have exempt and/or non-exempts reporting to this position. Can have a responsibility of leading a team consisting of 4-5 people for a given project.
List required and preferred qualifications (up to 10). Include education, skills and experience.
- BS in Chemical Engineering with preferred 10-12 years of experience OR
- MS in Chemical Engineering with preferred 8-10 years of experience OR
- Ph.D in Chemical Engineering with preferred 6-8 years of experience
- Previous experience in dermal fillers or polymers preferred.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
- Strong technical background in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Highly developed problem-solving abilities.
- Scientific report writing skills. Knowledge and experience in working in a cGMP environment. Knowledge of regulatory issues involved with CMC. Good organizational skills. Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Function as a team leader. Has knowledge of related areas of development to incorporate into local problem solving. Must be able to work with commercial operations to determine prioritization of projects and meet tight timelines. Use good judgment to make sound decisions. Needs to be adaptable and maintain the ability to give clear directions flexible in an ever changing and challenging environment.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.