Scientist I/II - In Vivo Pharmacology
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
Encoded Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated Scientist 1 to join our Preclinical in vivo group. This individual will work closely with team members to design and execute studies to support program advancement from target identification to preclinical proof of concept. The successful candidate will have significant in vivo experience with transgenic mouse lines including dosing, behavioral phenotyping and terminal tissue collection.
- Collaborate with program research team to design/execute/interpret rigorous in vivo studies using mouse models of genetic disease.
- Manage and mentor at least 1 direct report to collaborate with on execution of animal work and help support their personal and professional career goals.
- Design and perform in vivo studies to evaluate behavioral phenotypes of mouse models and efficacy of AAV gene therapy candidates in rodent models, primarily mice.
- Perform standard mouse procedures including plasma/serum collection, stereotaxic injections, necropsies, and tissue collection in compliance with established protocols
- Perform standard mouse behavioral assays including open field, elevated plus maze, Barnes maze, fear conditioning paradigms and more.
- Implement and characterize new behavioral or technical methods for characterizing mouse phenotypes in models of neurological disease (i.e. EEG, EMG).
- Maintain accurate records of animal assessments and study activities; document experimental data in laboratory notebook, including a description of the study purpose, activities performed, observed results, and variation from expected data patterns.
- Analyze, interpret, and present findings on in vivo experiments to scientific teams.
- Review relevant scientific literature and identify new/alternative approaches to address critical research questions or support the development of new techniques.
- Participate in cross-functional collaborations to advance broad company goals and objectives.
- Comply with all laboratory safety procedures.
- Perform additional tasks or special projects as assigned or needed.
- PhD in neuroscience or other biological science with demonstrated experience in behavioral phenotyping of transgenic mice.
- Willingness to develop new techniques and methods to support of characterization of mouse phenotypes.
- Proficient in standard in vivo techniques (animal handling, blood collection, dosing, necropsy, tissue dissections).
- Working knowledge of gene-based therapy approaches (gene regulation, RNA medicine, gene therapy, gene editing, gene silencing).
- Willingness to learn and conduct complex surgical procedures such as stereotaxic surgery
- Ability to independently formulate a study plan based on overall project goals, and carry out a series of experiments from start to finish.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced research environment. Ability to work on weekends as needed by study demands.
- Collaborative mindset and a willingness to work with different teams.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.