Senior Bioinformatics Software Developer
Medical Science & Computing, (MSC), a Dovel company, is seeking skilled Senior Bioinformatics Software Developers to join our team supporting our client, NCBI at the National Institutes of Health, (NIH) in Bethesda, MD.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world’s premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health – at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI’s wide range of applications, platforms (node, Python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other USGovernment Agency according to https://analytics.usa.gov/
The Senior Bioinformatics Software Developer will work on solutions to support continued development of NCBI’s Sequence Read Archive (SRA) – the world premiere archive of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data and is a part of international collaboration that includes archives in Europe and Japan. SRA makes biological sequence data derived from NGS available to the research community to enhance reproducibility and allow for new discoveries by analyzing and comparing data sets. SRA is a BigData archive measured in tens of petabytes of stored data. The future development of SRA will make this data more useful for wide variety fields: Medical Health (genetic diseases, cancer, etc.), Public Health (food safety monitoring, antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks, etc.), microbial diversity, and many more.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of the Sequence Read Archive (SRA) and related databases.
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms and to further advance the usefulness of SRA data.
- Facilitate development of “cloud ready” tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the field.
- Learn new technologies, keep up with the internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team.
- Lead other developers.
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data, hundreds of terrabytes or more
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies:
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda
- GCP: GKE, Google Store, Cloud functions
- Proficiency in at least one of programming languages: Java, C, C++
- Fluency in scripting languages such as Bash, CSH, Perl, or Python
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with open source projects
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
- 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
- Familiarity with NGS computational tools and formats (BWA, GATK, Galaxy, etc.)
- Demonstrated active involvement into open source communities (github, etc.)
Due to our contractual requirements, to be eligible for this role, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.Company Description
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.