Senior Intellectual Property Counsel
Myovant Sciences aspires to be the leading healthcare company focused on innovative treatments for women’s health and prostate cancer designed to improve the lives of millions. We are on a mission to develop and deliver empowering medicines for women’s health and prostate cancer through purpose-driven science and transformative advocacy. We are looking for passionate and hard-working individuals who share our excitement for this mission.
Myovant Sciences is a biopharmaceutical startup company focused on delivering innovative women’s health and prostate cancer solutions. We are currently seeking a qualified, highly motivated, experienced individual for the position of Senior Intellectual Property Counsel. This role is located in Brisbane, CA.
The Senior Intellectual Property Counsel will be responsible for drafting and managing Myovant’s intellectual property assets and communicating the business impact of those assets to key internal and external stakeholders. This person must have the ability to work independently and as an effective and engaged team member in a fast-paced environment. Strong initiative and follow through are essential for this job. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in, and will have experience supporting, the life sciences, biotechnology, or pharmaceutical industries, and will enjoy working for a growing company that is innovative and puts patients first.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement global strategies to protect company IP assets through patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and copyrights
- Actively assist in preparing and prosecuting domestic and foreign patent applications, including preparing arguments in response to office actions and drafting provisional patent applications
- Actively work with R&D to identify new inventions, conduct invention disclosure interviews, and review draft publications
- Manage the patent portfolio and payment of annuities
- Counsel internal clients and external business partners on the portfolio and other IP matters
- Assist in diligence activities
- Direct and manage outside counsels and foreign associates
- Assist in developing IP budget and managing expenses to budget
- Conduct patentability, FTO, infringement, validity, & LoE analyses
- Maintain knowledge of relevant laws, regulations or statutes affecting the company’s intellectual property
- Support patent litigations and other adversarial IP proceedings.
Core Competencies, Knowledge, and Skill Requirements
- At least 10 years of experience preparing and successfully prosecuting patent applications related to pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, in particular but not limited to small-molecule therapeutics
- Minimum B.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related field; an advanced degree is strongly preferred
- Experience in IP transactions and due diligence is preferred
- Experience in adverse IP proceedings, including but not limited to proceedings before the USPTO, EPO and U.S. litigation is preferred
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and admission to practice before the USPTO and licensed to practice in at least one state
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Close vision required for computer usage.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, climb, and lift up to 20 pounds.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you require any accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity