Senior Scientist, Vector Design
About the role
Sana biotechnology is developing cutting-edge targeted in vivo gene therapies to provide cures for patients. We are looking for a creative and highly-motivated individual to join our Gene Therapy - Vector Design team, and help us advance our gene therapy pipeline through the design and improvement of our gene therapy vectors. You will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that combines significant biologic drug discovery experience with pioneering discoveries driving a novel biological platform. The ability to deliver on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, influence within and across functions, and work in a highly collaborative, multi-site company will be critical to successfully advance our gene therapy pipelines. You will report to the Director, Vector Design and Cell Line Engineering.
What you’ll do
- Lead the implementation of new strategies to improve the potency and safety of our gene therapy platforms.
- Act as a technical lead for vector design across Sana. Collaborate with research functional leaders and program leaders to ensure that the new vectors are designed and constructed to meet specifications, and communicate robustly with them throughout development.
- Lead from the bench, mentoring junior team members to ensure best laboratory practices and scientific rigor in a diversified range of projects, comprising (but not limited to) cell line engineering, lentiviral vector design, and/or synthetic biology.
- Work closely with other members of the gene therapy, computational biology and process development teams to share and apply knowledge advancements.
- Review and present data cross-functionally at department meetings and larger forums.
- Comply with standard laboratory practices and company policies, including strict notebook documentation and biosafety policies.
What we’re looking for
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Virology, Cell Biology, Synthetic Biology, or related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of directly related experience in academic research and/or biotech industry.
- Experience designing gene therapy vectors, and characterizing their performance using analytical tools and cell-based potency assays.
- Skills in synthetic biology, genetic engineering or gene circuit design (knock-ins and knock-outs), cell biology, cloning and molecular biology.
- Excellent bench skills with attention to detail and high standards for data integrity and quality.
- Must be detail oriented, self-motivated, flexible, and able to prioritize and manage several fast-paced projects concurrently.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams as a strong team player as well as independently.
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with high-throughput screening strategies
- Experience with automated liquid handlers
What you should know
- This is a lab bench-based position, and therefore it may need repetitive pipetting for extended periods of time
- Working safely on a predictable and regular basis is an essential job function for this position and the Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.