Senior Director - Hematopoietic Stem Cell Gene Therapy
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is looking to expand our team with creative and talented individuals who believe in the potential of cells as engineered medicines. We are looking for enthusiastic scientists to forward our platform for hematopoietic stem cell therapy. The candidate will be working in vibrant research environment with cross-functional connections to technical operations, analytical genomics and pharmacology groups. Candidates should have the vision to do remarkable things and the determination to execute that vision.
What you’ll do
- Lead an exploratory team to apply the Sana gene therapy platform to HSCs
- Lead research team to develop HSC gene therapy using Sana targeted gene therapy platform
- Develop scientific strategy for the HSC Gene Therapy Program including developing the key milestones and building cross-functional support to execute to proof-of-concept studies
- “Lead from bench” mindset and develop group to execute strategy
- Design and oversee execution of in vitro studies to demonstrate HSC gene transfer
- Design and oversee execution of in vivo HSC gene therapy studies
- Provide key troubleshooting and data assessment for HSC studies
- Liaison to partner functions (e.g. development, analytical genomic and technical operations) and executive leadership regarding project timelines and deliverables
- Provides strategic direction in creating patent applications
- Creates strategic partnerships that lead to collaborations through networking and publication
- Understand and apply relevant scientific literature to the design of experimental protocols. This may include literature from outside of the Scientist’s primary field of research
What we’re looking for
PhD in scientific discipline with at least 10+ years with laboratory experience in an academic or industry setting or a Masters’ degree in a scientific specialty with a minimum of fifteen years of experience and proven proficiency in independent research and in the design of laboratory experiments and techniques.
- Expertise in HSC biology, including hands-on experience with in vitro phenotyping and in vivo reconstitution techniques
- Experience with Gene Therapy approaches, including ex vivo HSC lentiviral transduction
- Experienced in single cell transcript-based and flow cytometric phenotyping
- Well versed in a wide array of laboratory techniques and experienced in their use. Strong publication record is expected
- Experienced with interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication style to interact effectively with a range of collaborators including directors, scientists, technical experts, computational biologists, and therapeutic teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, attention to detail and data quality, and experience working on diverse collaborative teams
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with Gene-editing methods
- Experience with lineage tracing methods
- Previous work with bioluminescence imaging methods
What you should know
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs
- Prolonged standing and/or sitting
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Manual dexterity required to operate office and lab equipment
- Working safely on a predictable and regular basis is an essential job function for this position and the Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.