Principal Research Associate, Analytical Development
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is looking for a highly motivated Principal Research Associate to join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and collaborative team in the Analytical Development Group. You will be at the forefront of gene therapy approaches utilizing a novel biological platform, and we are seeking a creative and hardworking individual that shares our excitement in the potential of this platform. Reporting to the Associate Director, Cell-Based Assays, you will lead cell-based assay development activities and potency characterization methods for our gene therapy programs. The position represents an excellent opportunity for career development, working closely with experienced cell and gene therapy scientists in a highly collaborative environment.
What you'll do
- Key contributor towards potency assay development for gene therapy programs, including flow cytometry, ELISA, Luminex or MSD, and gene expression assays
- Develop MOA-reflective methodologies for use in both regulated (e.g. lot release, in-process, and stability testing) and unregulated environments (e.g. characterization)
- Optimize and execute robust and reproducible assays in support of both discovery research and pre-clinical development
- Execute assays for vector characterization, such as functional titer, physical particle counts, and characterization of residual impurities (e.g. DNA and host cell protein)
- Integrate data with cross-functional R&D teams and present data regularly at team meetings.
- Implement superb documentation of procedures and experiments to support tech transfer
What we're looking for
- BS or MS in molecular biology, biomedical sciences, immunology, virology or related discipline with 4-6 years of relevant experience
- MS in molecular biology, biomedical sciences, immunology, virology or related discipline with 4+ years of relevant experience or BA degree with 6+ plus years of experience
- Experience with suspension and adherent mammalian cell culture, such as CHO, HEK293, or similar cell lines
- Strong knowledge of flow cytometry principles, method development & optimization, and data analysis
- Prior experience in development and execution of assays to measure proteins and DNA using a variety of methodologies including qPCR, ddPCR, electrophoresis, and ELISA
- Excellent bench skills with attention to detail and high standards for data integrity and quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and organizational skills
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, independent, flexible, and able to prioritize several projects concurrently in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams as a strong team player
- Demonstrated ability to exhibit curiosity
- Ability to engage in crucial conversations – providing and receiving feedback
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with cell-based viral titration assays (e.g. flow cytometry, PCR, ELISA)
- Experience with viral vector systems, production and/or purification
- Familiarity with development and/or qualification of cell-based and gene therapy therapeutics, including the development of analytical methods
- Familiarity with GxP principles and regulations as demonstrated by assay and/or technology transfer to GxP manufacturing, or significant laboratory support of IND/BLA submissions
- Experience in authoring and reviewing documentation including technical documents, protocols and reports connected to assay development, validation and sample testing in IND filing documents
What you should know
- Flexibility to work some evenings when necessary depending on experimental needs
- Ability to perform assays, standard cell culture in a development lab
- Working safely on a predictable and regular basis is an essential job function for this position and the Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.