Head of Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is looking for a senior EHS leader to join our fast-growing team! You will be responsible for developing Sana's safety culture across geographies and executing EHS-related policies, programs, and strategies. Reporting to the Senior Director, Laboratory and Facilities Operations, you will work closely with stakeholders across the organization to ensure that the strategies and programs developed are aligned and meet the needs of the business. This will include developing and driving Sana's safety culture, proactively identifying EHS-related risks and appropriate mitigations, and reporting performance. Areas of focus include but are not limited to occupational safety and health, construction safety, environment and sustainability across all Sana sites. You will work collaboratively and engage directly with business unit leaders, employees, and vendors. A must is having project delivery experience, superior skill in cross-functional leadership, excellent prioritization, responsiveness, customer service, and verbal communication skills.
What you’ll do
- Partner with key stakeholders to continuously strive for a high bar safety culture across geographies.
- Engage with internal and external resources to develop and execute upon strategies for managing EHS compliance and risks. Develop and advance programs include but are not limited to programs including Exposure Risk Assessments, Chemical Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Biosafety Management, Respiratory Protection, personal protective equipment.
- Lead cross-site safety committee activities, working closely with site EHS committee representatives to address risks, identify trends and opportunities, and develop sustainable solutions to complex problems.
- Provide hands-on technical and strategic support for EHS programs across all current and future sites.
- Establish world-class health and safety performance metrics and company-wide action plans to address defined gaps.
- Evaluate and act upon new and existing environmental and safety regulations, including Federal, State and/or City regulations. Leverage local experts as needed for cross-site coverage.
- Advance and continually improve a process where employees are encouraged, empowered, and enabled to communicate EHS related questions and concerns.
- Review and report on incident data to identify trends, develop and implement incident prevention initiatives, and monitor EHS performance in partnership with site leadership.
- Create and deliver EHS training and monitor EHS training completion. Work with site safety committee to improve training materials and effectiveness.
- In partnership with site safety committees, lead robust EHS inspections, identify trends, and develop sustainable solutions to prevent EHS incidents.
- Develop a process for performing risk assessments for specific job tasks that are implemented timely, valuable, and are cost-effective solutions.
- Lead engagement and communications centered around all EHS activities and performance.
- Demonstrate ability to engage and effectively influence across cross-functional multidisciplinary teams while prioritizing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Drive curiosity, scientific rigor and excellent problem-solving skills across a fast-paced performance-driven environment
What we’re looking for
- BA/BS in occupational safety, environmental/health sciences or related field.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in pharmaceutical or biotech industries. Biologics, Cell and Gene Therapy experience preferred
- Direct experience with management of BSL2 and BSL2+ environments and Chemical Hygiene programs in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong working knowledge of ISO 14001, OSHAS 18000, and behavior-based safety.
- Strong working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local EHS guidelines, regulations, codes and standards, including OSHA, EPA, DOT, NIOSH, FDA and other regulatory requirements applicable to cGMP and non-GMP environments.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to multi-task and develop solutions to complex problems in collaboration with diverse teams.
- Skilled at listening deeply to key stakeholders, considering their needs along with regulatory requirements and best practices to make informed decisions.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to effectively develop clear and concise messages from complex data, present to senior leadership and staff, and quickly gain trust.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills to prioritize multiple work streams and deadlines and balance opposing priorities.
What will separate you from the crowd
- Certification in one or more of the following areas: Certified Safety Professional, Certified Safety Associate, and/or Project Management Professional.
- Strategic and forward-thinker who can identify future needs of the organization and consider the best solution/outcome for Sana.
- Sophisticated fiscal planning and leadership skills, with a strong understanding of the complexities of a multi-site environment.
- A mentor and leader of people, projects and teams: all team members deserve an engaged, thoughtful culture and people leader.
- Can translate data into actionable insights and communicates in a way that resonates—inspiring people to care.
What you should know
- Frequent domestic travel (~25%) to other Sana sites is anticipated.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs., push/pull heavier equipment with safety precautions.
- Working safely on a predictable and regular basis is an essential job function for this position and the Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.