Senior Accountant - San Diego, California
We’re a different kind of biotech company. And we’re here to make a difference.
Prometheus Biosciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: RXDX), is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering a precision medicine approach for the discovery, development and commercialization of novel therapeutic and companion diagnostic products for the treatment of immune-mediated diseases, starting first with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
The Company’s precision medicine platform, Prometheus360™, combines proprietary bioinformatics discovery methods with one of the world’s largest gastrointestinal bioinformatics databases to identify novel therapeutic targets and develop therapeutic candidates to engage those targets. Prometheus is headquartered in San Diego, CA.
This position will be responsible for preparing journal entries, reconciliations and analysis to support the monthly close process. Duties include maintaining prepaid and other amortization schedules, cash and banking, payroll entries and reconciliation, as well as additional accounting and analysis procedures as assigned. Assists in the preparation and review of monthly internal financial reporting and monthly and quarterly financial reporting to management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform monthly balance sheet account reconciliations and preparation of the majority of the month end close journal entries for the Company
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliations for all bank accounts
- Responsible for maintaining complex accrual schedules for clinical trial and CMC accruals, collaborates cross-functionally with Clinical and R&D teams to facilitate accurate accounting estimates and assesses each accrual for proper prepaid or payable balance
- Assist in cash management forecasting by estimating weekly cash needs and proposing bank transfers when necessary
- Responsible for reviewing and approving the invoice entry, assigned account distributions and wire transfers prepared for payment by the accounts payable and purchasing teams
- Prepares journal entries for all payroll-related transactions and prepares related balance sheet reconciliations for all payroll-related liabilities
- Assist in the preparation and review of the monthly and quarterly financial packages for management
- Research variances to budget and trend fluctuations to identify errors and/or explain variances to management
- Responsible for preparing detailed schedules and support as requested by outside auditors in conjunction with quarterly and annual financial reviews and audits
- Participates in proactively identifying, assessing and implementing prevent and detect controls and participating in compliance with all internal control related requirements
- Applies principles of accounting and maintain the financial records in compliance with U.S. GAAP, Company policies and internal controls
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting
- 5 or more years of progressive experience with a biotechnology/pharmaceutical company processing payroll, general ledger maintenance, journal entry preparation, balance sheet reconciliations and knowledge of basic accounting
- Experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry is required
- Experience with maintaining complex accrual schedules for clinical trial and CMC accruals is strongly preferred
- Must have advanced, expert experience working with Excel
- Experience with QuickBooks is preferred
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Ensure all activities are carried out with the best industry practices and highest ethical standards in compliance with all applicable regulatory, legal and operational procedures
- High integrity, be able to inspire trust and exhibit the highest level of ethics
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with strong ability to interact with internal teams and partners across all levels of the organization
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from all levels of the organization
- High attention to detail, strong ownership ethic and intense focus on accuracy and accountability
- Entrepreneurial, enjoys working in a fast-paced, smaller-company environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet time sensitive deadlines
- Advanced Excel skills and strong proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other protected class.