Area Sales Director - Eastern U.S.
Santen is a specialized pharmaceutical company with a 130-year heritage focused exclusively on ophthalmology. With sales in over 60 countries, Santen’s 4,000 global employees work to deliver life-changing therapies that make hope a reality for people facing vision impairment and loss. Santen Inc., located in Emeryville, CA (North America HQ), contributes important research & development and commercialization efforts. This office is home to about half of our 300-total staff in North America, including our Toronto, Canada site and our recent acquisitions of Eyevance Pharmaceuticals (Fort Worth, TX) and InnFocus (Miami, FL).
Since inception in 2017, Eyevance remains dedicated to advancing ocular health through the development and commercialization of innovative and impactful topical ophthalmic products targeting the ocular surface and anterior segment that enable optimal vision and better quality of life, while also ensuring patient access for all patients throughout the U.S. In September 2020, Eyevance was acquired by Santen.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Eyevance is seeking a newly created position of an Area Sales Director. The role will report to the Vice President, Sales. The Area Sales Director will be accountable for leading the East or West Area sales teams which each consist of ~3 Regional Sales Managers and ~30 Territory Managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND KEY DELIVERABLES:
- Responsible for assisting in the establishment of and the success of meeting yearly sales goal for the Nation (East or West) and setting Regional Sales Manager goals.
- Develops strategic business plans for the region that reinforces marketing strategy and identifies market/customer opportunities. Works with Product Managers to fulfill regional needs and awareness.
- Implements sales, marketing, and managed care strategy to support Santen, Inc. North America plans for growth.
- Recruits, screens and hires Regional Sales Managers for the assigned region.
- Effectively manages all administrative responsibilities and maintains required timelines.
- Provides leadership, support, guidance and direction to Regional Sales Managers in order to expand their knowledge and skills; thus, maximizing their performance.
- Collaborates with the Sr. Director, Sales Training, Training Manager and Regional Field Sales Trainers to implement training programs and field coaching for regional territory managers to ensure relevant and impactful field facing training.
- Assists Vice President, Sales on special projects, assignments, and future needs.
- Advises Regional Sales Managers and Territory Managers of marketplace trends and competitive intelligence.
- Works with Sr. Director, Commercial Operations and Vice President, Sales to develop region specific strategies/tactical plan for managed care activities.
- Serves as liaison with other functions, other sales and marketing personnel, plus corporate partners.
- Plans and conducts sales meetings to inform, train, and motivate Regional Sales Managers and Territory Managers.
- Attends national and regional industry meetings.
- Manages expenses to maximize return on investment. Responsible for budgeting expense needs and implementation of effective controls.
- Stays current on relevant matters including company business, policies, and procedures.
- Works with Human Resources on employee relations issues.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree.
- 10+ years pharmaceutical/biotech sales experience with a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Regional Sales Manager (manager leading sales representatives).
- Ophthalmology experience preferred.
- Demonstrates strong management/leadership skills, excellent interpersonal skills, financial analytical abilities, strong record of sales results consistently exceeding expectations and broad-based experience in other disciplines (i.e., marketing, managed care systems, sales training, etc.).
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, professionalism, and adaptability.
- Must have excellent communication, coaching and presentation skills.
- Excellent product knowledge and ability to understand and respond to the changing selling environment.
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills.
- Willingness to relocate if needed.
- Overnight travel required.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Santen requires anyone working on-site or visiting company offices to confirm they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious accommodation is timely requested and approved. Please reach out if you have questions or concerns about this policy and how it may apply to your candidacy for a role with Santen.