Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology
INNOVATION, QUALITY, COLLABORATION, PERFORMANCE, COURAGE AND INTEGRITY
Over 900+ clinical trials validate that gene therapies are transforming the practice of medicine. As a Senior Scientist for AAV early pipeline process development, you will have an opportunity to join the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC) and be at the cutting edge, leading the development of innovative medicines that can improve lives of patients.
NBC builds the biologics pipeline in collaboration with NIBR Disease Areas and Platforms via a breadth of technologies for discovery of antibody, protein and gene therapy-based therapeutics. The Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group within NBC drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics and rAAV. Through cell and viral engineering as well as innovative and rational protein design, the BEGT group is a global team that works collaboratively with disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics into therapeutic applications where conventional antibodies have limitations.
The Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology, is part of the NBC/BEGT Next Generation AAV (NGA) group and is responsible to lead and contribute to the development of innovative medicines for patients devastated by rare diseases in collaboration with partners across the global Novartis research and development network.
- Leads, oversees and/or participates in next generation AAV projects across multiple Novartis sites to enable gene therapy platform advances and novel therapeutic capabilities in close collaboration with disease area leaders and global project teams.
- As an integral member of cross-functional teams involving program leads and external (e.g. CRO) collaborators and partners, oversees and contributes to planning, execution, analysis and reporting of gene therapy PK/PD assessments in preclinical cell-based and in vivo rodent/NHP studies by a team of scientists.
- Manages development, qualification and implementation of new assays and technology improvements to support gene therapy program goals
- Supports implementation of lab management systems for assay and sample tracking
- Adheres to the good research practices and quality culture across Novartis.
- Contributes to maintaining a safe laboratory environment and quality work practices.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's in gene therapy , molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or related scientific field with 8 years relevant experience or Master's with 6 or PHD with 4.
- Expert knowledge in DNA/RNA/protein methods, high-throughput tissue/biofluid processing devices
- Demonstrated expertise in gene therapy, assay development, design/execution of nonGLP animal studies, tissue/biofluid processing methods, lab automation and high throughput systems, characterization of AAV vector and products, nucleic acid and proteomics technologies and tools.
- Previous experience as a team leader and/or matrix management are strongly preferred.
- Experience in AAV biology, sh/miRNA biology, and/or analytical/process development is desired.
- Ability to work collaboratively across a dynamic and collaborative scientific and development environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in neuromuscular, cardiovascular, liver, and/or lung disease areas.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.