Scientist II, Process Science (Downstream)
Imagine… 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives. This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapies are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
The Scientist II, Process Science - Downstream, is responsible for designing and executing gene therapy downstream process development experiments, as well as performing downstream process operations at both small scale and large scale to support pipeline research and pre-clinical studies
- Designs and executes gene therapy downstream process development studies.
- Performs experiments at both large-scale and small-scale to support pre-clinical, clinical and commercial programs.
- Stays current with the latest scientific and engineering developments in the field.
- Leverage strong understanding of biologics downstream process to evaluate and introduce new technologies.
- Applies a variety of purification techniques within the confines of regulatory parameters.
- Analyzes and interprets experimental data from process studies with strong statistical mindset. Makes decisions based on statistically sound conclusions.
- Authors technical reports and presents results of development studies both internally and externally.
- Manages development study projects and mentors junior team members.
- Collaborates with cross-functional groups to coordinate studies.
- Other related job duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's biochemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or related technical field with 6 years relevant experience or Master's with 4 or PHD with 2.
- Experience with a variety of biopharmaceutical purification processes such as chromatographic separation, depth filtration, precipitation and flocculation, tangential flow filtration, adventitious viral clearance, ultracentrifugation, and impurity clearance.
- Proficient in statistical analysis principles and approaches. Working knowledge and experience with Design of Experiment (DoE).
- Ability to analyze data to make date-driven decisions and further progress development strategies.
- Innovative with a continuous improvement mindset
- Excellent team player with good communication skills
- Knowledge of viral gene therapy and previous experience with AAV process development is preferred.
- Previous experience of project management is preferred.
- Up to 10% travel.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.