Executive Director, Gene Therapy Public Policy
Imagine… 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives.
This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapy are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
We use cutting-edge technology to turn promising gene therapies into proven treatments beginning with SMA but also focusing on Rett Syndrome and Friedreich's Ataxia. Imagine the lives you could transform by joining the Novartis Gene Therapy team.
The Executive Director, Gene Therapy Public Policy, leads all aspects of public policy to enable commercialization of and broadening access to gene therapies as an integral part of the Global Patient Access Team. This role makes the vision a reality working closely with country/regional organizations, broader Novartis Gene Therapies and aligns closely with Novartis Pharma Public Policy Teams.
- Monitors and analyzes policy environment maintaining an up-to-date perspective on existing and emerging global policy issues, anticipated policy changes and healthcare trends impacting policy makers that are relevant to gene therapies and SMA.
- In line with the strategic objectives of Novartis Gene Therapies and the global patient access function, and in collaboration with countries /regions and global commercial and patient advocacy functions, identify key public policy priorities and impact areas for the organization to advance commercialization of and access to gene therapies.
- Develops a strategic policy agenda to deliver against these policy priorities that enables our vision to establish gene therapies as a valued and recognized therapeutic category treating more patients in need globally e.g. New Born Screening, Strategies for LMIC markets.
- Translates strategic policy agenda to an actionable roadmap with defined deliverables that builds Novartis Gene Therapies policy positions in key areas, drives internal and external engagement with deep understanding of policy levers and influencers in these areas.
- Guides the effective and timely implementation of the policy agenda and roadmap globally and in relevant markets and regions, working closely with GTx functions and Public Policy and Government Affairs colleagues at Novartis Pharma.
- Executes on global actions and support / coordinate regional and local actions.
- Ensures strategies, policies and action plans are understood by key leaders across the organization.
- Guides the organization in understanding and assessing risk and impact of potential policy actions and positions.
- Establishes and maintains close working relationship with the Public Policy organization within broader Novartis Pharma to support cross -collaboration across initiatives and sharing of best practices
- Acts as the point of contact for all GTx functions (e.g., GMA) from a public policy perspective.
- Establishes, promotes and grows Novartis Gene Therapies strategic alliances and relationships with a broad range of stakeholders relevant to gene therapies and SMA (e.g., policy groups, policy makers, public health leaders, trade groups, payer advocacy groups, academics and industry leaders) to advance gene therapies policy agenda and implementation of key policy positions, coordinating with other key functions (e.g. medical affairs) and with Novartis Pharma.
- Develops Novartis Gene Therapies' core policy messages and set global guidance/ communication plan in coordination with Communications function and broader Novartis Pharma.
- Commissions thoughtful and agenda setting pieces of work, working with a range of partners including think tanks and academic researchers.
- Leads efforts and environment shaping initiatives to strengthen and ensure sustainability of healthcare systems around the world to facilitate broader access gene therapies.
- Initiatives may include (but not limited to) driving innovative partnerships with public or private stakeholders to address healthcare system challenges and initiating pilot schemes.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree in Medicine, Science, , public health, health economics, Public Affairs, or Business administration preferred.
- 10 years' experience in pharmaceutical public policy, healthcare consultancy, trade association, NGO / think tank or global policy trans-national organization setting with significant international exposure.
- Deep understanding of the biopharma industry; and command of key concepts related to drug development, HEOR, patient access and reimbursement, and commercialization.
- Have a global mindset and vision with exposure to multiple market and payer archetypes globally in at least 2 regions across US, Europe, Asia or LATAM.
- Experience with ATMPs or rare diseases preferred.
- Creativity and vision to define and advance a world-leading strategic policy agenda in a pioneering therapeutic space.
- Pragmatism and action-orientation; ability to translate policies to concrete, achievable goals, and to lead execution against those goals.
- Demonstrated track record of driving innovative approaches from concept to execution.
- Network, relationships and past experience engaging key stakeholders such as policy makers, public health leaders, trade groups, and payer advocacy groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to manage by influence and build relationships by identifying common goals and engaging in a transparent, trust-building manner.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience building and managing high performing team.
- Ability to travel up to 30% globally.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.