Process Engineer II, Downstream Early Pipeline Development
INNOVATION, QUALITY, COLLABORATION, PERFORMANCE, COURAGE AND INTEGRITY
Over 900+ clinical trials validate that gene therapies are transforming the practice of medicine. As a Process Engineer for AAV early pipeline process development, you will have an opportunity to join the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC) and be at the cutting edge, leading the development of innovative medicines that can improve lives of patients.
NBC builds the biologics pipeline in collaboration with NIBR Disease Areas and Platforms via a breadth of technologies for discovery of antibody, protein and gene therapy-based therapeutics. The Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group within NBC drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics and rAAV. Through cell and viral engineering as well as innovative and rational protein design, the BEGT group is a global team that works collaboratively with disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics into therapeutic applications where conventional antibodies have limitations.
The Process Engineer II, Downstream Early Pipeline Development, supports AAV gene therapy pipeline portfolio, developing new platform process for existing and novel AAV capsids/cargo vectors, and building improved process technologies for AAV production. This role is also responsible for executing early-stage process development with the focus on developability of novel viral platforms and engineered cell lines.
- Assist small-scale purification process including ultracentrifugation, column chromatography, cell lysis, clarification, AKTA and TFF unit operations, and depth filtration for manufacturing of AAV gene therapy vectors across multiple preclinical programs and disease areas to ensure on time delivery.
- Work collaboratively with upstream process development and analytical development teams.
- Contribute to experimental design and execution for early development as well as innovative technology and platform evaluation for next generation capsids and cargo vectors.
- Work collaboratively with Cell Line Development team to develop stable producer cell line for next generation AAV manufacture.
- Assist knowledge transfer and work collaboratively with Technical Research & Development team to advance pipeline programs into clinical phases.
- Prepare protocols, reports and provide high quality data and electronic notebook documentation.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- B.S. in biochemistry, chemical engineering, bioprocessing, pharmaceutical sciences, or related technical field with 2+ years of industry experience.
- Prior experiences developing novel purification process for recombinant proteins and antibodies or early-stage AAV or other viral vector manufacturing and/or process development is required.
- Experience in operating AKTA chromatography, filtration (depth, direct flow and UF/DF tangential flow) and resin/membrane chromatographic separation techniques (e.g. affinity, IEX, SEC) is highly desired.
- Effective communication including presentations to convey scientific concepts to research scientists and cross-functional collaborators.
- Individual team player with ability to work in a matrix environment.
- Strong organization skills with attention to details and goal-focused mind.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.