Senior Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology
Imagine… 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives.
This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapy are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
We use cutting-edge technology to turn promising gene therapies into proven treatments beginning with SMA but also focusing on Rett Syndrome and Friedreich's Ataxia. Imagine the lives you could transform by joining the Novartis Gene Therapy team.
The Senior Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology , is responsible for the design, coordination, and execution of in vivo studies in support of pipeline development.
- Works interactively with research and development team to identify, validate, characterize, and distribute mouse models that directly address drug discovery and program validation.
- Organizes, schedules, and executes in vivo study plans designed in conjunction with scientific and program leads.
- Performs tasks necessary for the husbandry and study of rodent models of disease such as animal identification, breeding, weaning, and collection of tissue samples.
- Establishes protocols for behavioral studies, execute behavioral testing, and successfully transfer assays to other team members.
- Conducts molecular biology techniques necessary for genotyping.
- Examines data and prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analysis, ensuring experiments are well documented and comply with regulatory requirements.
- Maintains and ensures safe laboratory environment and work practices. Follow standard operating procedures (SOP) and IACUC protocols.
- Authors, submits and revises Animal Care and Use Protocols (ACUPs).
- Designs, executes, and manages studies at external Contract Research Organizations (CROs).
- Works collaboratively across a dynamic scientific environment.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's in biomedical research, neuroscience, or animal sciences area, with 8 years relevant experience or Master's with 6 or PHD with 4.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts. Reputation as emerging leader in field with sustained performance and accomplishment.
- Good working knowledge of regulatory requirements required for in vivo research to remain compliant with IACUC and AALAC regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross functional environment. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent troubleshooting, organization, and planning skills, and the ability to work under timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- 10% travel.
- Experience with behavioral testing and characterizing rodent models of human disease.
- Experience in neurological and/or neuromuscular disease preferred.
- Uses professional concepts in accordance with company objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.