Automation Engineer / Scientist, Systems Integration
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
Title: Automation Engineer/Scientist, Systems Integration
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Pacific Biosciences seeks a highly skilled and creative Automation Scientist or Engineer to integrate commercial off the shelf liquid handling robots into the Pacific Biosciences sequencing platform workflow. The successful candidate will program and adapt commercial liquid handlers to interface with Pacific Biosciences consumables and reagents to develop robust and scalable sequencing solutions. A strong knowledge of off-the-shelf (OTS) robotics systems and sequencing platforms is essential. The successful candidate will be working in a fast-paced and energetic environment, interacting with scientists and engineers with diverse backgrounds.
- Work directly with scientists and engineers to understand sequencing protocol requirements and translate those needs into automated workflows
- Develop high throughput automation protocols with the goal of turnaround time optimization and minimal human intervention
- Interface with OTS liquid handling programming software as well as in-house instrument control software to work with custom consumables and sequencing protocols
- Analysis, interpretation and troubleshooting experimental results
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Bioengineering, Engineering, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related field
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with operating and programming liquid handling robotics platforms such as Hamilton, Beckman or Tecan systems.
- Experience in adapting off the shelf liquid handling robotics platforms to custom workflows
- Effective understanding of laboratory automation, sequencing instrumentation and automation scheduling software
- Strong quantitative, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Good communication and collaborative skills
- Familiarity with Product Development process desirable
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.