Scientist, Applications Lab - UK
Title: Scientist, Applications Lab - UK
Location: London, United Kingdom
PacBio is looking for a talented and motivated scientist with strong DNA sequencing, molecular biology and instrumentation background to run an applications lab in PacBio's headquarters in London, UK.
Our mission is to enable the promise of genomics to better human health. Pacific Biosciences (PacBio) is creating the world's most advanced sequencing technologies. Our latest instrument, the Sequel IIe, provides a unique combination of accurate and long DNA sequencing (HiFi sequencing) which generates the most complete picture of the genome. HiFi sequencing is helping generate scientific insights that are not possible with other sequencing technologies.
This position requires laboratory work and data analysis. The candidate will be expected to perform pilot projects which have been agreed as part of pre-sales opportunities. Furthermore, the candidate will be expected to run experiments to develop and optimize application workflows for strategic partners that have been agreed as part of a collaboration. The candidate will also be expected to systematically participate in beta testing of new instruments, kits, protocols, and applications to provide detailed feedback and thereby become a technical expert. The candidate is a partner to field teams and be expected to train these but also to help overcome technical escalations by performing troubleshooting experiments or tests. Finally, the candidate will be responsible to maintain and prepare the lab so that wetlab training courses can be performed. Besides the regular work this position is an opportunity to setup the applications lab.
Important aspects of this role are the ability to work and communicate effectively with field teams and internal stakeholders from a wide variety of backgrounds. The candidate will be working in a fast-paced commercial environment and needs to be highly self motivated and organized. The position will require to be domiciled in London or the surrounding area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Entry quality control of samples.
- Construct libraries and sequence on current instrumentation (Sequel IIe Systems).
- Carry out pilot projects to support sales quarterly and yearly goals.
- Support collaborations of strategic partners by developing and optimizing application workflows.
- Provide application training to Field Application Scientists and Technical Support.
- Design and run experiments to support technical field teams.
- Work closely with Bioinformaticians to analyze data.
- Process data to obtains results.
- Generate reports and presentations to report back on outcome.
- Participate in beta tests and provide feedback.
- Excellent command / highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently.
- Comfortable engaging with customers in the EMEA region and with PacBio teams in Europe and the United States.
- Ability to work in a strong, team driven and highly performing organization.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic work environment.
- Excellent work ethic, exceptional judgment, and unquestionable integrity.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Enjoy working closely with others as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- A “can do” attitude and be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- M.S. or PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field (appropriate experience carrying out molecular biology/biochemistry experiments at the Senior Research Associate level may qualify).
- Experience with DNA sequencing and understanding of high throughput sequencing instruments are a must.
- Technical proficiency in general laboratory practices, biochemistry/molecular biology, including library construction and next generation sequencing platforms.
- Experience in developing LDT assays is highly desired.
- Excellent lab record-keeping and careful attention-to-detail.
- Strong troubleshooting abilities.
- The ideal candidate will require minimal scientific guidance beyond project goals and can design/execute experiments independently.
- Good understanding of genomics, particularly human genetics and their intersections with cutting edge molecular technologies.
- Good presentation and communication skills.
- Experienced in conducting wet lab trainings, and in implementation of DNA sequencing instruments and assays in a lab environment.
- Experience with bioinformatics tools to analyze next-generation sequencing data would be a benefit, knowledge of bioinformatics tools of single molecule sequencing data (SMRT analysis) would be ideal.
- Experience in a field-applications support role (both, pre- and post-sales) in the EMEA region would be a benefit but is not a condition.
- Experience of a diagnostic or regulated work environment would be a benefit.
- Used to working through CRM tools would be a benefit.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.