Senior Applications System Engineer
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
Title: Senior Applications System Engineer
Based: Menlo Park
Pacific Biosciences is scaling up our standards-defining technology to deliver high-throughput genome sequencing at low cost. We are seeking an inquisitive, dedicated and experienced individual to join the Systems Engineering team and drive product development of future applications.
The role will work closely with product marketing and R&D teams to define and communicate customer requirements and define reagent, software and consumable specifications for new genomic applications.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in development and successful deployment of assays and applications in the genomic sequencing space.
Experience in molecular biology methods for nucleic acid applications, sequencing, and liquid handler automation would be beneficial.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with Product Marketing team to effectively translate their needs into product requirements.
- Work with cross-functional subsystem owners to define, design and develop end-to-end applications including sample-prep, sequence and analysis workflows.
- Develop and manage all product design requirements and coordinate Verification and Validation planning.
- Contribute to data-driven decision making by designing experiments, analyzing, and presenting results.
Lead phase-gate design reviews and dFMEA processes
- Work across a wide range of technologies, including sample extraction, library prep, and SMRT sequencing.
- The candidate will be working in a fast-paced environment, interacting with customers, as well as other scientists and engineers from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Expertise in genomics and molecular biology, including principles of nucleic acid chemistry, primer design, and technologies for gene target amplification using PCR and isothermal amplification method.
- Experience with sample processing and purification methods to support nucleic acid detection from a variety of sample types.
- Experience or expertise with Laboratory Automation solutions (eg. pipetting robots, electronics and linear actuators) and systems involving reagents, consumables and related system software.
- Detailed technical orientation, with robust analytical and organization skills, problem solving, troubleshooting capabilities and negotiation skills.
- Develop expertise with instrument hardware/software while keeping abreast of current assays/workflows as well as emerging applications.
- Able to execute at all phases of the product life cycle from product concept, design, development up to production.
- Ability to work successfully across disciplines (including software, manufacturing, product development, quality, regulatory, and marketing) in a collaborative and team environment.
- Minimum 7+ years or equivalent in instrumentation, life sciences and/or clinical research markets required. Experience with genomics products preferred.
- Minimum education: Bachelor of Science in a life sciences field: Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or Genomics.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.