Location: London, UK
Reporting to: Vice President, Information Technology
Orchard Therapeutics is a leading global fully integrated commercial-stage company dedicated to transforming the lives of patients with rare diseases through innovative gene therapies. Orchard’s portfolio of autologous ex vivo gene therapy programs has demonstrated sustained clinical benefit in over 150 patients across five disease areas. These programs include Strimvelis®, the first autologous ex vivo gene therapy approved by the EMA in 2016, 3 programs in advanced registrational studies in MLD (metachromatic leukodystrophy), WAS (Wiskott Aldrich syndrome) and ADA-SCID (adenosine deaminase severe combined immunodeficiency), 2 other clinical programs in X-CGD (X-linked chronic granulomatous disease) and beta-thalassemia, as well as an extensive preclinical pipeline.
The ideal candidate will be a hard-working professional able to manage in a hands-on capacity both laboratory and office facility operations and work diligently under pressure. Candidate should possess a high degree of independence and be able to operate proficiently based on sufficient instruction on daily work, and general instructions on newly introduced assignments.
Key Elements and Responsibilities
- Manage the company facilities.
- Assist in the budgetary management for the facilities and services budget for the managed buildings including preparing forecast and budget information. To also oversee invoicing and coding procedures to ensure budget controls are maintained ensuring that transactions are all in accordance with financial procedures and regulations.
- Assist in the management of the interface between the technical and operations teams, buildings users, Senior Officers, and estates service providers, as appropriate.
- Manage all general laboratory operations including waste consolidation and removal, gas tank exchanges, hazardous waste disposal, etc.
- Ensure that the laboratory is cleaned/sanitized and kept in an orderly manner.
- Enforce established safety policies/procedures.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and generate ideas for improving efficiency and productivity in the laboratory operations.
- Lead application and maintenance of permits required for facility operation (import/export, fire safety, etc.).
- Monitor and ensure compliance with local, State, and Federal regulations governing laboratory operations.
- Maintain common area, order and maintain breakroom supplies and consumables.
- Act as main local liaison with vendors and estates.
- Act as a local expert in company facilities management technical matters e.g. permits, and provide professional help and guidance to others, as appropriate.
- Periodically review local existing services to ensure that the most appropriate service delivery method is used and that value for money is achieved through consolidating procurement where possible; and agreed with building user representatives, where appropriate.
- Lead the development of Building User Guides, First Response plans and Operations Manuals for each managed building and ensure they are regularly reviewed and updated.
- Assist in managing and developing the existing facilities management teams to ensure high service delivery standards are maintained, to seek improvements as necessary and to ensure value for money.
- Report to the relevant parties on health & safety and compliance matters.
- Co-ordinate general maintenance, refurbishment, redecoration, and the general compliance and upkeep of buildings. This will involve liaison with Estates Services staff, contractors, and other specialists and other parties as needed.
- Assist in the preparation, planning, and management of Facilities related projects. Projects may be building and/or service related.
- Act as the Company Safety Officer for managed buildings. Advise and provide a compliant and safe physical working environment for staff in Facilities managed buildings, ensuring that health and safety policies are followed, and appropriate risk assessments are undertaken.
- Oversee security matters including the operation of alarms and access control systems, and the CCTV coverage of the managed premises.
- Carry out minor repairs on a daily basis within competency level.
- Any other duties allocated which fall within the general area of the position.
- Maintain scheduled/preventative maintenance of equipment
- Maintain scheduled and as needed maintenance of facility
- Allocating and managing space within buildings
- Ensuring that facilities meet government regulations and environmental, health and security standards
- Overseeing building projects, renovations or refurbishments
- Helping businesses to relocate to new offices and to make decisions about leasing
- 3 – 5 years facility operations experience in the pharmaceutical industry, biotech industry, life sciences industry, or other regulated industry
- Laboratory management and purchasing experience.
- Any relevant education, certifications, and/or work experience in the following settings may be considered: regenerative medicine lab, tissue processing facility, testing laboratory, pharmacy clean room, or pharmaceutical manufacturing facility
- Experience in writing/following standard operating procedures
- Thorough understanding of office management procedures
- Demonstrable experience of buildings management.
Skills & Abilities
- Good understanding of facilities management issues and procurement procedures.
- Good understanding of Health & Safety issues relevant to the workplace.
- Familiarity with BSL-1 and -2 requirements and practices.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, in person and in writing
- Organization, time management, prioritizing and the ability to handle a complex, varied workload
- Attention to detail but also the ability to see the implications for the bigger picture
- Ability to work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to lead and manage teams and projects
- Demonstrable experience of managing teams of staff in diverse areas.
- Demonstrable experience of project and space management.
- Good computer skills.
- Analytical abilities and aptitude in problem-solving
- Ability to deal diplomatically but firmly with difficult situations.
- Customer service mindset
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in a biologic field, life sciences, engineering, statistics, mathematics, chemistry, pharmaceutical science, or sport science
Orchard is an equal opportunity employer. We recognise and celebrate the diverse culture of our workforce and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our employees. We fully support the principle of Equality and Diversity in employment and oppose all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination. We assess all applications on basis of job requirements and individual qualifications.
We work within the requirements of all current legislation and we implement the provisions of regulatory codes of practice in employment.
Notice to All Applicants: Orchard Therapeutics participates in E-Verify
All employment offers and CV’s are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.