Process Development Scientist - Drug Substance/Synthetics
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
Process Development ScientistLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this dynamic role you will be responsible for developing innovative solutions to prepare our small molecule and hybrid drug candidates. The scientist will be principally concerned with translating developmental processes into commercial manufacturing reality using synthetic organic chemistry through scientific expertise, engineering innovation and deployment of manufacturing technologies. Responsibilities include:
- Develops technology to manufacture drug candidates in a practical, efficient, and safe manner.
- Champions innovative applications of synthetic chemistry, pharmaceutical manufacturing, process analytical technologies (PAT), automation and data analysis.
- Provides significant contributions to drug substance development teams (e.g., product and process development teams, product quality teams) by providing drug substance updates, documentation, data interpretation, technical recommendations, etc.
- Serves as a technical expert and keeps current in organic chemistry and applications of process technology in pharmaceutical development including literature and technology development.
- Improves the technical or scientific capabilities of the department and routinely answers questions on or resolves scientific/technical issues.
- Collaborates in cross-functional teams to develop Amgens pipeline.
- Works cross-functionally to deliver regulatory documents and supporting documentation in support of Amgens regulatory filings.
- Delivers processes amenable to manufacturing operations and carry out deliveries of drug substance in a cGMP manufacturing environment.
- Effectively participates on drug substance development teams as a team member.
- Works effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of chemists, engineers and attribute scientists.
- Collaborates with other scientists and professionals outside the department.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Science professional we seek is a collaborative partner with these qualifications.
- Doctorate degree by December 2021 OR Masters degree and 4 years of scientific experience OR Bachelors degree and 6 years of scientific experience
- Doctorate degree in Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry or Synthetic Chemistry
- Post-doctoral research experience
- Track record of proven scientific accomplishments in the field of organic chemistry
- Ability to champion new technologies
- Experience in the pharmaceutical / biotech or related industry that includes participation and contribution to scientific project teams
- Familiarity with common industrial unit operations including crystallization (batch and continuous mode), filtration and drying
- Familiarity with the use of design of experiments (DoE) and Process Analytical Technology (PAT) techniques
- Familiarity with laboratory automation, data analysis and visualization techniques and tools
- Familiarity with Environmental Health and Safety expectations for chemical laboratories
- Familiarity with current Good Manufacturing Practices for preparing drug substances and intermediates
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a fast-paced team environment
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal skills
- Knowledge of basic office and chemistry software including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ChemDraw, and SciFinder
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
#Operations21Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.