Data Scientist - Human Statistical Genetics
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make:
- Pair your knowledge of statistical genetics and population-scale GWAS datasets with Recursion’s large-scale functional genomics platform to identify promising directions for phenotypic disease modeling and therapeutic directions.
- Create analyses and visualization tools to relate patterns in petabytes of cellular imaging and next-generation sequencing data to human population phenotypes and genetic drivers across therapeutic areas to grow and interpret Recursion’s map of human biology.
- Evaluate and curate publications and datasets in genetics to steer internal research directions and educate colleagues coming from diverse backgrounds (data science, biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, automation, machine learning) on how these tools can be used to revolutionize drug discovery.
- Build relationships with internal and external collaborators to integrate and manage complex genetics data
- Communicate data and scientific results internally and externally.
The Team You’ll Join
With treatments for hundreds of diseases in our sights, we’ve built a data science team with domain expertise in computer science, physics, biology, mathematics, applied statistics, and more. We work side-by-side with Biologists, Automation Scientists, Chemists, Software Engineers, and many others; together, we develop the tools and methods to turn our experimental data into treatments to affect the lives of countless individuals. Whether you're identifying new disease areas, analyzing statistical patterns in patient populations or drawing connections between imaging and genomic data, you’ll become an essential member of our effort to industrialize drug discovery and decode biology.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Applied Statistical Genetics
- Extensive practical experience deriving insights from raw data and summary statistics of population-scale GWAS and/or genomic sequencing data (e.g., UK Biobank, FinnGen, gnomAD, TOPMed, GTEx, or similar private datasets).
- Familiar with GWAS quality control, preprocessing (e.g., imputation), and analysis tools (e.g., PLINK and Hail) starting from raw genomic data.
- Practical experience with post-GWAS analysis tools that may be used to translate genetic associations into therapeutic targets and/or complex disease models (e.g., TWAS, PheWAS, Mendelian randomization, gene set/pathway enrichment tools, stratified heritability estimation)
- Preferred: Experience using population-based genetic mapping studies to identify and/or prioritize drug targets
- Nice to have: Experience with modern machine learning methods in the context of genomic data (e.g., deep neural networks for sequence data and gene regulation).
- Nice to have: Experience interpreting somatic genetics (e.g., developmental heterogeneity and cancer genetics).
- Nice to have: Deep biological knowledge related to one or more human disease domains
- Nice to have: Familiarity with rare-variant association testing (burden testing, SKAT, etc.)
- Proficient in programming in a commonly-used language for data science and statistical analysis, such as Python or R. Preferred: Experience working in a collaborative CI/CD software development environment, including use of git, peer code review, etc.
- Working habits
- A strong sense of project ownership, curiosity, and the professional skill-set to excel in a collaborative environment.
- Desire to work with colleagues of various skills to collaboratively push forward Recursion’s vision of building a map of human biology and translating it into therapies that radically improve lives.
- Professional: PhD or equivalent working experience in genetics, statistics, developmental biology, or related field working in above-mentioned areas.
- Senior: 2+ years postdoctoral experience in industry or academia on directly relevant subjects, and/or experience as a technical lead driving execution in these areas.
Nice to have:
- Material you can share highlighting your excellence in the above competencies (publications, patents, code repositories, whitepapers, launched products, etc.)
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Recursionaut:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option and restricted stock unit (RSUs) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.