Associate Research Fellow, Protein Engineering
Pfizer’s Biotherapeutic Discovery group in La Jolla is seeking an outstanding, highly motivated and proven protein engineering and assay development expert to effectively direct and manage a multidisciplinary team, lead technology innovation programs, and deliver biologics into the pipeline. This Associate Research Fellow will collaborate with project leaders to understand the target biology and to influence discussions and decisions to develop novel therapeutics and drug modalities. The candidate will have access to state-of-the-art protein and antibody engineering technologies and will be expected to continue our tradition of developing world class methods and technologies that enhance our therapeutic discovery efforts.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team by setting goals and objectives, motivate and develop others, provide feedback on experimental design and analysis to ensure high scientific rigor.
- Manage a core function team supporting multiple portfolio programs using Biosensor and other analytical tools.
- Work in multidisciplinary and cross-functional teams to advance next generation biologics through different stages of development, and influence project teams in their decision making.
- Provide strategic direction and implement innovative approaches across multiple modalities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the underlying biology and mechanisms of action for a variety of drug targets.
- Serve as the champion of the group, effectively communicates results by preparing clear technical reports, publications and oral presentations; effectively delivers updates to senior management in context of overall project goals
- Ph.D. in Biological Science (Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Protein Biochemistry, Cell Biology) or a related field (Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Biological Engineering), at least 10 years of post-graduate experience and a solid career history in antibody engineering in biotech or biopharmaceutical industry is required.
- Proven record in antibody drug development and driving programs from early discovery into the development stage.
- Proven record of protein interaction analysis and assay development.
- Demonstrate a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Strong track record of scientific accomplishments demonstrated through publications in highly regarded journals and/or intellectual property generation.
- An innovator with a proven track record in molecular design of biologics, a creative and proactive approach to problem solving, strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- A highly-collaborative scientist with broad interests and a diverse background. An ability to work across disciplines and understand the specific needs of collaborators.
- Strategic thinking with an ability to understand program and therapeutic area needs and translate that understanding into an actionable approach.
- Outstanding interpersonal, collaborative and oral communication skills.
- Strong motivation, passion and commitment to science and engineering of novel molecular entities.
- Ability to analyze and interpret work published in the field and apply it appropriately.
- Extensive hands-on experience in antibody engineering and characterization of various antibody formats.
- Strong time management skills and ability to manage multiple projects in parallel.
- Strong communication skills and ability to present research in a team setting.
- The individual should be scientifically creative and driven by a willingness to embrace innovation within drug discovery and an eagerness to challenge and meet aggressive timelines.
- Previous experience with high throughput screening methods and automation.
- Previous experience with computer programming for laboratory automation equipment and/or data analysis.
- Previous experience with protein expression and purification methods.
- Previous experience with oversight of core laboratory functions such as protein purification and/or biosensor analysis.
- Strong desire and initiative to understand the underlying biology and help propose new ideas and techniques to discover next-generation of protein-based therapeutics with unique functionalities.
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
Additional Job Information
- Relocation support available