Postdoctoral Fellow, Global Medical Epidemiology (GME)
Job Title: Global Medical Epidemiology (GME) Postdoctoral Fellowship
Pfizer’s Worldwide Research, Development and Medical (WRDM) Postdoctoral Fellowship program provides trainees with opportunities to deliver high-impact research that increases understanding of human disease mechanisms and therapy while receiving high-quality and committed mentorship. The program also provides professional development with multiple training opportunities and experiences. Pfizer’s Global Medical Epidemiology (GME), a part of WRDM, is recruiting for a postdoctoral fellow.
GME conducts epidemiologic research, often by using large databases, to generate a better understanding of disease context and clinical outcomes and improve medical decision-making. The three pillars of GME’s remit are: (i) Regulatory Use of Epidemiology Data, (ii) Disease Natural History Studies to inform Clinical Trial Design, and (iii) the Epidemiology of Disease Disparities.GME’s impacts include improving the efficiency and likelihood of success of early phase clinical trials, building more robust benefit-risk profiles to provide a more thorough assessment of new products, and incorporating these insights to support regulatory filings. GME’s value is based on deeper understanding of disease that improves quality and precision of Pfizer medical decisions.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will partner with epidemiologists and clinical/scientific teams to design and execute an original research study intended to support medicine development in one of Pfizer’s therapeutic areas. Specifically, the fellow’s research will focus on improving understanding of the selected disease, addressing key questions regarding clinical characteristics, comorbidities, treatment patterns, disease progression. In addition to their primary research project, the fellow will contribute to work on estimates of incidence and prevalence of disease for regulatory submissions; writing and reviewing protocols; clinical study reports; and presentation of scientific findings to regulatory authorities, medical professionals and others. This role requires someone with strong technical expertise, leadership potential, communication skills, and a strong desire for growth. The fellowship experience will also include opportunities to learn and develop business skills and to observe how a large pharmaceutical company is organized and how it operates.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will report directly to pre-selected mentor, and also receive support from other leaders within GME and across Pfizer functional areas.
- Design and conduct a natural history study with a Senior Epidemiologist mentor in the selected therapeutic area, including:
- Present and publish results at scientific conferences and/or within peer-reviewed journals
- Work collaboratively with key Pfizer stakeholders (such as Clinical, Medical, Regulatory and Safety) and external parties (such as academics, regulators and vendors)
- Propose and implement various components of GME deliverables for development and product/asset teams, including:
- Background epidemiology studies, other natural progression of disease studies and user characterization studies
- Indicated population cohorts for external controls arms and regulatory requests
- Other epidemiology studies (e.g., special subpopulations, new indications)
- Critical assessment of epidemiological data and literature
- Design and implement multiple database, de novo, or hybrid design studies intended to quantify risks potentially associated with Pfizer products
- Business and Professional Development Opportunities.
- Doctoral degree in Epidemiology or a related Quantitative Public Health discipline, and have graduated within the past 3 years
- Previous publications:
- If this is a first postdoctoral post: 1‑2 first-author publications (published or manuscripts submitted for publication) in high quality specialty or general readership journals.
- If this is a second postdoctoral post: 2-4 first-author publications (published or manuscripts submitted for publication) in high quality specialty or general readership journals.
- Direct experience conducting research using real-world data (RWD) including disease registries, electronic health records (EHR) and claims databases, and understanding of the strengths and limitations of RWD in context of designing epidemiologic studies
- Demonstrated depth of understanding of observational research methods, comparative effectiveness research, health care and data science trends, and ability to leverage epidemiologic and data science expertise to meet evolving business needs
- Interpersonal skills to seamlessly interact on scientific issues
- Experienced in managing meetings / projects
- Creative skills in designing and using alternative approaches, new solutions, or innovations
- Experience in standardizing and optimizing processes for ease of implementation
- Practical experience with implementation of observational or experimental studies
- Ability to prioritize and operate in a fast business environment, while not compromising on scientific quality and rigor
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine ActPfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.EEO & Employment EligibilityPfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development