Scientist, Analytical Development
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Analytical Development Department (AD) at Emergent BioSolutions San Diego is hiring a Scientist in the Bioassay Group. The scientist has a critical role supporting the AD team to achieve company pipeline objectives. The scientist is expected to work independently as well as cooperatively within the group and with other groups.
The main role of the Scientist is to design and execute experiments that will help to characterize the target and the primary functional epitopes of candidate vaccine products. The Scientist will work independently to develop, qualify, validate, execute potency assays designed to test pre-clinical and clinical products. The scientist must have good problem-solving skills and is expected to collaborate with others to overcome challenges. The candidate must demonstrate excellent communication and presentation skills. The Scientist will also be involved in testing of GMP material and in the execution of stability protocols in GMP.
The Scientist is expected to support other company projects as needed. The role reports to the AD Senior Scientist and works closely with them to effectively analyze data and to ensure timely delivery of project-specific demands and requirements.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possess fundamental knowledge in vaccinology and immunology disciplines and apply this knowledge and skill to perform a variety of standard activities in the fields of Vaccine and immunoassays Development
- Develop, design and execute experiments, optimize and troubleshoot existing bioassays like: cell-based assays (TCID50), binding assays (ELISA Gyrolab, Octet), and analytical assays (qPCR, SDS-PAGE, western blot). Take accurate notes and write development reports. May provide guidance to junior level personnel.
- Author qualification and validation protocols and reports. Author SOPs for GMP testing. Identify and manage the life cycle of critical reagents.
- Must understand and comply with GMP standards to execute QC assays for testing GMP samples for release and stability. Complete related QC documents. Basic knowledge of quality and regulatory requirements such as FDA, ICH, GLP/cGMP compliance
- Analyze and interpret data using appropriate statistical software like JMP or PRISM.
- Participate in methods transfer or adapt methods from other departments as needed.
- Excellent communications skills, technical writing, and presentation.
- Maintain scientific expertise through reading current scientific literature
Minimum Education, Experience and Skills
Education: PhD and 2 years of experience, or Master and 5 years or BS and 10 years of experience.
Experience: This person should have experience in ELISA assay, Gyrolab, binding and SPR by BLI (Octet), SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, qPCR, protein quantification assay and Tissue culture.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Technical expertise in wide range of biological assays
• Sound knowledge and technical expertise in immunology, molecular biology and molecular genetics
• Thorough understanding of concepts related to vaccine development against infectious diseases
• Knowledge and experience with operating in regulated GxP environments
• Ability to analyze complex data and reach valid scientific conclusions
• Excellent verbal and technical writing skills
• Ability to prepare and present research results both internally and externally
• Ability to think independently and critically, contribute and collaborate with cross functional project teams, troubleshoot effectively, and solve complex technical issues
• A cooperative team player with strong commitment to team efforts
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.