Postdoctoral Fellow - Selection and Modality Engineering, Biologics
This could be your everyday
Lets do this. Lets change the world. During this program, you will be provided with an enriching environment to inspire innovation that will contribute to the development of human therapeutics.
The lab of Irwin Chen in the Selection and Modality Engineering (SME) group within the Biologics Department at Amgen South San Francisco is seeking a creative and highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to develop methodologies for improving the productivities of difficult-to-express proteins. The mission of the SME group is to develop technology platforms to expedite the discovery and optimization of the next generation of biologics therapeutics.
The initial focus of the postdoctoral fellow will be to (1) develop tools to site-specifically modulate protein translation rates in prokaryotic and eukaryotic expression systems and (2) investigate whether they can be applied toward ultimately improving the productivities of challenging proteins from mammalian expression systems. Responsibilities will include the independent design and execution of experiments, as well as the interpretation and communication of data analyses. Moreover, the postdoctoral fellow is expected to develop an independent line of research based on the initial projects.
Beyond scientific training, the postdoc will also gain valuable experience in drug discovery at Amgen. The successful candidate will perform research in a highly collaborative environment, with opportunities to interact with other postdoctoral fellows, scientists, and drug discovery teams across multiple research sites while having access to state-of-the art molecular biology, protein expression, protein biochemistry, and flow cytometry capabilities. The postdoctoral fellow will be expected to present at internal meetings and scientific conferences, and publish in leading journals.
The postdoctoral position is for 3 years with the option to extend for an additional year.
Heres what it takes to Win
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dedicated individual we seek is a scientist with these qualifications.
- PhD at the time of appointment
- PhD in molecular & cellular biology, chemical biology, biochemistry or a related field
- Knowledge of regulatory mechanisms governing protein translation and folding, including experience with RNA-seq and/or Ribo-seq
- Experience with designing and performing selections to enrich mutant libraries for variants of interest is a plus
- Demonstration of independent design, execution, and interpretation of experiments and results, as exemplified by a solid publication record
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Passion to learn and work collaboratively within a large team of scientists with diverse technical and cultural backgrounds
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment, and inclusion in all that we do.
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.