Research Associate/Lab Manager- Pelka Lab
We are recruiting a Research Associate (RA) to fill the role as a lab manager and mouse in vivo expert for our newly started lab within the joint Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology. Gladstone is home to a unique integration of fundamental and disease-focused science and repeatedly ranks as one of the 10 best places to work in academia according to the The Scientist magazine. The goal of our lab is to systematically dissect multicellular interaction networks in human tumors to improve immunotherapy. We are especially interested in innate immune mechanisms that set the stage for whether or not anti-tumor responses are successful. Our work is based on our recent single cell RNA sequencing and spatial profiling effort that revealed several immunologically relevant and spatially-organized multicellular interaction networks, ‘immune hubs’, in tumor tissues from patients with colorectal cancer (Pelka et al BioRxiv 2021, accepted in Cell). The next step is to decode the intercellular communication pathways within and between immune hubs to learn how the hubs form, how they function, how they evolve over time, and how pre-existing hubs impact future immune responses. To this end, we will perform high-throughput and high-content CRISPR-based perturbation screens in human ex vivo and mouse in vivo models and draw from the patient-derived tissue and organoid resources that we have built. Our work has the potential to reveal fundamental rules of tumor and tissue immunology, identify biomarkers of response, and discover novel drug targets to improve immunotherapy.
The RA would be responsible for building and managing our mouse colony and provide technical support for experiments in transplantable tumor models. The person would also be responsible for general laboratory management and maintenance, including ordering and technical support with cell biological and molecular techniques such as cell culture, DNA purification, PCR, molecular cloning.
Please submit your complete application documents including CV and references.
- AA/AS degree in a related field and 4+ years of related experience.
- BS/BA, in a related field and 2+ years of related experience
- MS degree in related field and 0+ years of related experience
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written)
- Great orientation to detail
- Experience with the maintenance of mouse colonies and transplantable tumor models
- Experience with general laboratory techniques, especially basic molecular and cellular biology techniques (including but not limited to mammalian cell culture, DNA and RNA isolation, PCR, immunohistochemistry, DNA assembly, bacterial transformation)
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.