Associate Director, Accounting
Reporting to the Director of Accounting, the Associate Director of Accounting is a “hands on” position with direct responsibility for Catalyst Biosciences daily accounting operations, month and quarter end closing, treasury management and operational accounting including equity responsibilities. This position will work with the internal finance team and external team (auditors, tax, etc.) and will be responsible for execution and review of core accounting functions.
About Catalyst Biosciences, the Protease Medicines company
Catalyst is a research and clinical development biopharmaceutical company focused on addressing unmet medical needs in rare disorders of the complement and coagulation systems. Our protease engineering platform has generated two late-stage clinical programs, including MarzAA, a subcutaneously (SQ) administered next-generation engineered coagulation Factor VIIa (FVIIa) for the treatment of episodic bleeding in subjects with rare bleeding disorders. Our complement pipeline includes a pre-clinical C3-degrader program partnered with Biogen for dry age-related macular degeneration, an improved complement factor I protease for SQ replacement therapy in patients with CFI deficiency and C4b-degraders designed to target disorders of the classical complement pathway as well as other complement programs in development.
- Manage the General Ledger system, accounting operations, month-end and quarterly close.
- Manage and execute close calendars for month end close, audit, tax, and SOX deliverables and ensure timelines and objectives are being met.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly financial statements, senior management board package and provide consolidated data to support the company’s public filings 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K’s, Proxy, etc.
- Complete account reconciliations for accuracy and completeness maintaining GAAP compliance.
- Complete, accurate and supported monthly close journal entries (cash, prepaids, lease accounting, pre-clinical and tax accruals).
- Complete accounting entries and analysis for collaboration revenue.
- Act as point person for external audit, SOX, SEC, and tax group support.
- Participate and support the maintenance of Sarbanes-Oxley internal control certification requirements.
- Support annual and quarterly audit preparation activities.
- Responsible for working with external stock plan administrator to records and reconcile equity activity.
- Treasury management: Monitor bank balances, prepare wires and ensure bank accounts are reconciled. Distribute weekly KPI reports.
- Contract Administration: Maintain and distribute KPI reports for contracts and purchase orders.
- GL coding: Daily approve purchase orders for proper coding against budget.
- Equity: Work with external Stock Plan Administrator to complete stock-based compensation calculations, compile related financial statement disclosures, and reconcile all the company’s equity activity.
- Support NetSuite implementation efforts.
- Special projects as requested, particularly related to implementation of new processes and accounting policies.
- Position is hands-on and you will be working alongside the Controller and CFO to meet Accounting/Finance objectives.
**Title/Level to commensurate with educational and professional experience.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in accounting operations.
- Minimum of a BA, CPA required.
- Advanced Excel skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the role of finance and accounting in supporting the company’s strategy.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and SOX 404 compliance.
- Solid experience helping to coordinate financial book closings, audits and financial statement preparation.
- Proven success working well under pressure, highly organized with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in an environment with continued process improvement and change.
- SEC reporting experience a plus.
- Netsuite experience a plus.