Director, Internal Audit
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin Internal Audit is committed to helping BioMarin achieve its full potential in transforming patient’s lives by minimizing overall company risk. We pride ourselves in being objective and independent of the areas we assess, while maintaining our commitment to advance the organization. We provide independent assurance to the board of directors and management. Our disciplined approach evaluates the effectiveness of BioMarin’s risk management, control and governance processes. We also assist with proactive advisory projects. An open and transparent partnership helps us develop the appropriate context and understanding of the issues at hand, minimize surprises, and drive greater value in the outcomes.
In carrying out our mission, we pledge to:
- Be a trusted partner
- Lead with integrity & enthusiasm
- Focus on what matters
- Share industry practices
As part of our mission, we also aim to provide valuable business insights (covering governance, risk, and control, and beyond), and we are building an audit data analytics platform to support in pro-actively identifying potential indicators for non-compliance, fraud and waste.
Director, Internal Audit:
This role supports the Executive Director of Internal Audit, and the Director will oversee or perform audits to evaluate the design and effectiveness of systems of internal control while also evaluating the adequacy of financial and/or operational controls, including company policies and procedures.
The Director will be instrumental in building a world-class and global internal audit function, a function that provides assurance regarding BioMarin’s governance, risk and control effectiveness.
The Director must demonstrate significant experience with assessing risk and demonstrate excellence in designing and implementing a risk-based approach to internal auditing in a rapidly growing, highly innovative environment. The Director effectively partners with his or her business stakeholders on audit planning, execution, and observation remediation, and is hands-on in the execution of audit from scoping the engagements through performing quality assurance.
The position of Director reports to the Executive Director of Internal Audit. The major responsibility of this position is planning of audit engagements, oversight of engagement execution, reporting audit results, as well as maintaining and further strengthening relationships with the business stakeholders.
Annual and on-going audit planning:
- Meet with executive level personnel to understand risks and business priorities
- Conduct risk assessments (financial, operational, strategic), and develop a risk-based audit plan
- Present to - and engage with - executive level personnel on audit planning and priorities
Planning the audit:
- Oversee preliminary process risk assessment, and develop the scope and objectives of the audit
- Meet with executive level personnel to understand risks and priorities of the audit
- Coordinate with external subject matter experts, as appropriate
Conducting the audit:
- Ensure the audit is executed on time and on budget, including work performed by third party subject matter resources
- Perform quality self-review or review of staff work for accuracy, clarity, completeness, and adherence to program and audit techniques employed
- Oversee / conduct data analytics to support conclusion
- Escalate any critical audit issues to the Executive Director and appropriate management
- Reporting results
- Communicate issues and root causes to executive management and gain consensus on the path forward
- Collaborate with management to develop risk-based response and action plan; this will often include facilitating a strategic assessment of options and costs-benefits
- Be able to fully evaluate risks and exposures and risk-rank issues accordingly
- Develop CEO/Audit Committee level deliverable; including sophisticated analysis of risk & exposure
- Participate in or lead enterprise risk assessment activities, and oversee and conduct other audit engagements, including advisory engagements
- Build / enhance Internal Audit’s data analytics capabilities through collaborating with other Internal Audit team members, the broader Global Compliance & Ethics team, and business stakeholders
- Participate in and support special reviews or investigations at the request of Global Compliance & Ethics personnel, senior management, or the Audit Committee
- Maintain existing certifications and seek further certification where appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Public Accountant, or Certified Fraud Examiner designation
- 10+ years in public accounting, internal audit or advisory for a big four firm, or a combination of big four firm and internal audit with a global corporation.
- 4+ years of Biotech/Pharmaceutical/Life Science experience preferred.
- Ability to work with ambiguity, and respond to a rapidly changing, highly innovative environment
- Demonstrated risk assessment and management skills
- Excellent presentation skills – candidate must be skilled and comfortable with presentations to executive management. Professional savvy and ability to interact with executive level management personnel
- Proactively seeks knowledge, new task, and responsibilities. Highly self-motivated and able to work independently
- Experience managing staff
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities and working styles
- Knowledgeable in ERP systems, such as Oracle or SAP, and related automated internal controls or general computing controls
- Ability to organize projects and work responsibilities, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Ability to travel app. 10-20% of the time
Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.