BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Research Associate is involved with the design of protein purification processes suitable for manufacturing therapeutic proteins or gene therapy vectors, and with the transfer of those processes to manufacturing facilities. The Associate works primarily in the laboratory to design, carry out, and analyze experiments that lead to the design of effective processes.
The applicant must exercise technical discretion in the design and execution of varied experiments and projects. He or she provides quantitative analysis of data and interpretation of results, writes protocols, and contributes to technical reports. At times, he or she may evaluate complex methods, technologies, or laboratory equipment. He or she may adapt existing processes and develop new processes.
The applicant may provide assistance to manufacturing start-up, troubleshooting, and validation. Will be expected to contribute to scientific publications and regulatory submissions, and attend external seminars.
More specifically, this position requires the following roles. The primary focus is laboratory experimental work:
- Execute small-scale experiments to design, optimize, and characterize purification processes.
- Perform experiments to determine operational ranges and robustness for various steps in purification processes.
- Develop, perform and troubleshoot analytical assays required to support experiments (e.g., UV absorbance, SDS-PAGE, western blot, HPLC, enzyme activity, and ELISA).
- Assist with process scale-up and transfer into the clinical manufacturing plant.
- Order materials for the laboratory and maintain equipment and facility through targeted preventive maintenance.
- Use pilot-scale equipment to process cell-culture harvests and to prepare purified proteins for animal studies or research.
- Solid experimental design and troubleshooting skills
- Broad technical proficiency in protein purification and analysis allowing effective execution of experiments
- Able to use computers effectively for data analysis and presentation
- Excellent communication skills, including scientific writing
- Ability to mentor others and gain acceptance of ideas
- 1+ years industry experience in purification process development
- Expertise in protein chromatography, ultrafiltration, HPLC, and spectrophotometry
- Expertise in viral vector purification
Minimum: Four-year Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, biological engineering, biochemistry, chemistry, or biological sciences
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in the above scientific disciplines with 1-3+ years experience in purification process development; or a Master’s degree with 0-3+ years experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.