Associate Director, Eye Care Research
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie's Eye Care Research group is seeking an Associate Director to lead and contribute to implementation of strategies for discovery and validation of targets in ophthalmology . Within the Research, Nonclinical, and Translational Sciences (RNTS) organization and as a member of a multidisciplinary team, this individual will be responsible for the strategy, conduct, data analyses, interpretation, and reporting of nonclinical in vivo and in vitro pharmacology studies to support ophthalmic drug discovery and development programs.
S/he will be required to conceive, design, plan, implement and oversee a range of pre-clinical model studies to identify, validate and characterize potential therapeutic targets in collaboration with internal and external stake holders/experts. In addition to the management of pharmacodynamic studies to evaluate efficacy, s/he will also be responsible for implementing translational biomarker and target engagement strategies to support downstream clinical development of drug candidates.
This individual is expected to advise and consult with other scientists in R&D as well as outside collaborators and to work with the Eye Care Research leadership team to help set program strategy. S/he may serve as a pharmacology representative on nonclinical and translational sub-teams and assignments and will act as a subject matter expert on behalf of AbbVie to external parties including external collaborations and diligence. S/he will also be required to train and supervise junior staff members.
Overview of Qualifications and Responsibilities
Experience in the fields of ophthalmology or vision research is required. A comprehensive understanding of models of ophthalmic disease, functional vision assessments and ophthalmic imaging modalities is essential. Experience with biochemical techniques and cell-based models desired. Prior drug development as well as supervisory experience is an asset.
S/he should be a highly motivated, with a record of innovation and scientific leadership. Emphasis is on the ability to demonstrate scientific leadership skills and interact in a matrixed organizational structure. In addition, the candidate should have a strong track record of cross-functional collaborations along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Propose in vivo pharmacological strategy for projects at various stages in Discovery and Development
- Design and scientific oversight of in vivo nonclinical pharmacology studies
- Analyze, interpret and report PD datasets
- Provide strategic input to drive decisions to advance Discovery projects
- Provide input on Development protocols including efficacy and biomarker evaluations
- Represent Research Pharmacology on project teams
- Contribute to preclinical pharmacology sections for regulatory submissions
- Provide subject matter expertise on behalf of AbbVie for external collaborations and due diligence assignments
- Advise and consult with other scientists in R&D as well as outside collaborators
- Active scientific participation and collaboration with colleagues in industry and academia
- Train and supervise junior staff members
- Ph.D. and typically 7-10 years of pharmaceutical industry or postdoctoral experience
- Expertise in models of ophthalmic disease, functional vision assessments and ophthalmic imaging modalities as well as the application of these techniques to pharmacological studies required
- Experience with models of retinal disease strongly preferred
- Experience with animal handling required, including dosing, surgery and imaging
- Experience with biochemical techniques and cell-based models desired
- Strong scientific and leadership skills with the ability to lead research and development sub-teams and influence and collaborate with leaders in R&D is required
- Line management experience required
- Experience interacting with the various clinical functions in an organization a plus
- Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, transparency, scientific rigor and drive
- Effective written and verbal communication skills required
- Excellent collaboration and team skills are required
- Must be able to multitask effectively and be adaptable and flexible to meet changing priorities
- The successful candidate is required to have ability to work within a diverse workforce
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.