Senior Scientist, Digital Pathology/Image Analysis
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Senior Scientist II, Image Analysis, Precision Medicine Pathology
AbbVie Precision Medicine Pathology is committed to driving tissue based translational and biomarker efforts for our pre-clinical and clinical stage programs. We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with expertise in digital pathology, including image acquisition and analysis using cutting edge technology. Candidates should have a passion for research, and a track record of productivity and accomplishments in their field. They should enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic and highly interactive environment.
As an imaging scientist you will be embedded in a small team that works closely with colleagues in the various pathology laboratories as well as with the research pathologists. You will also interface with investigators in discovery and late-stage research across our spectrum of disease areas which ranges from oncology, cancer immunotherapy, immunology, to neuroscience.
This position is based on our brand new state-of-the-art South San Francisco campus.
- Design, and, in collaboration with colleagues within the Pathology group, execute approaches for acquisition, analysis, interpretation and presentation of tissue derived image data to inform research projects and teams.
- Articulate hypotheses, work plans, and present results to a variety of audiences in both oral and written communications
- Identify, implement and utilize cutting edge technology for the analysis of images or similar data derived from a variety of imaging modalities and platforms including bright field, darkfield multicolor fluorescent or mass spectrometry
- Advance cutting-edge research and development in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Pathology by developing AI digital pathology solutions
- Conceive and guide external collaborations and projects in the digital pathology space
- Support the logistics and maintenance of in-house digital pathology platforms; provide leadership for the recommendation, adoption and implementation of new technologies
- Provide training and guidance for the use of established methodology, troubleshooting of assays, and in the development or deployment of novel techniques
- PhD, MS or BS in a relevant field and demonstrated deep experience with digital pathology; the position is flexible to accommodate candidates with variable combinations of qualifications and demonstrated specific experience in the field
- Record of productivity and accomplishments as measured by relevant publications or successful implementation of image-based technologies in the context of biotechnology and drug development
- Expertise in the use of computational methodologies and platforms pertinent to digital pathology (eg. HALO, Visiopharm, MATLAB), analysis and visualization of high-dimensional or complex datasets (eg. PCA, t-SNE), statistics (e.g. Prism) and programming languages (eg. Python, R)
- Familiarity with machine learning and algorithm development in the imaging or computer vision field using platforms such as Python or MATLAB
- Working knowledge of related techniques, including multicolor flow cytometry, spatial transcriptomics, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, gene expression analysis
- Familiarity with concepts of cell and molecular biology applicable to immunology, cancer immunotherapy, oncology or neuroscience
- Demonstrated desire and ability to learn, understand and master new techniques or technologies
- Strong scientific writing and strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, multi-disciplinary, matrixed environment.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects
**Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled**
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.